Lion acting strange

dougedoug

My Lion I have had for almost a year is acting strange (video attached). All my water levels are good, my bio load is great. Its a 200 gallon with 6 fish in it. None too big. He did not eat today and I even got some live fish but he still did not eat. (only feed live fish every other month) He has gone on a hunger strike before so I would not mind but he is swimming strange. Almost like his swim bladder is broke. Is he shedding he looks a little lighter and I notice what looks like some skin around the tank.
Any ideas will help.
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYNLF2H9nnY

cranberry

It does indeed look like a buoyancy issue. He's trying not to float. At the end there you can see him pinning himself in place with his fins.

Can you get some still shots for me? Of your other fish?

Is he kind of pink? He is indeed very pale. They will usually shed frequently when they have some sort of chemical irritant going on, or something like parasites. He's a big guy, so he shouldn't shed very often.

When did you add your last fish?

What have you been feeding him primarily?

dougedoug

Here you go.
The other fish are doing fine eating well and regular with healthy appetites. I have had all these fish for over 6 months, the lion with the issue for the longest. Also have a snowflake eel who doing well. He is more pale then usual. He eats frozen silversides and every other month he gets goldfish.

dougedoug

Here are some stills of my lion. I noticed this mark on him but It has been there a while. He acted weird a while ago. Was thrashing and not eating for a little bit. One pic has a flash one does not.

cranberry

I have to admit, I started at the bottom picture and went up. My husband was on the sofa and I said "Look Babe, come here! I wonder who is beating the.... ummm..... poo poo caw caw..... out of him". If you've had him a year..... who is biting off his spines? I kept scrolling up..... aha! That's not a coincidence, my friend. Certainly not by the fact I guessed it before I scrolled all the way up, but for some reason I was thinking a trigger. But there's your initial problem, witnessed or not.
What all those spots in the first pic of post #4. Air bubbles in the water, spots on the fish or water on the outside of the tank?
What brand of Silverside? Some are worse than others..... some are even a freshwater carp. How long have to had the Silversides. He is malnourished if that's what he primarily eats. Not because of the live bi-monthly Goldfish, but because of the nonvaried died. A nonvaried diet, especially one high in thiaminase, can lead to a lot of these symptoms.

dougedoug

Hello,
He has actually lost 2 spines but I saw when he lost them sloshing around about 2 months ago. No one ever messes with these lions. The fish in the tank get along very well, but they don't like anyone new. (that's why I got 6 fish in a 200 gallon tank =0)
The marks have been there for a while on him. Right now he is just sitting on the bottom. He was eating well day before yesterday and only went on a hunger strike once before that. His color has never been as dark as my other lion but it looks pretty light now. Do I need to medicate him?

cranberry

There is nothing to treat at this point..... unless that is spot on the fish in picture 1 post #4. I'm not talking about the marks on his side, but the tiny dots.
He is indeed malnourished if he has had Silversides for the past year. He is not underfed, so it really doesn't make a difference if he just stopped eating or not, malnourished is a whole different ballgame.
That color in the video may even darken up at times, but he's about as pale as a volitans can get.
Puffers, especially dogfaces, are not good tankmates. Sometimes people can make it work for awhile, as you have, but the time has stopped. Those are classic battlemarks, no matter how hard you try to reason them away.
If you medicate him without knowing what you are medicating for, you could kill him. He is beyond stressed. He needs quiet pristine waters, but I'll be honest, even your best efforts right may be too late. This has been going on awhile.

dougedoug

Hello,
thanks for your input. I have tried to feed him shrimp but he never eats them. Its either siliversides or gold fish. I soak the frozen food in selcon everytime I feed my fish. Any recommendations on what else he would eat? My puffer is a decent size like 7-8". Looks like I am going to have to get rid of him if I want to get any other fish in there.

cranberry

You're feeding your lion a food item marketed for our hobby and more specifically predatory fish. You're enriching these food items with a well known trusted enrichment that has been around forever and used by many. Your fish has been nice and fat.... why would you even think he would not be receiving all he needs, right! The occasional goldfish will be of no consequence, just pick a small one and not one of those with the massive heads.
Do you have access to a market seafood deli? All the saltwater fare will be great for your predators. Mix up fish flesh and inverts because they all have something great to offer and something not so great to avoid. Fish high in fats have a much shorter shelf life due to lipid rancidity or oxidization. Inverts tend to be high in thiaminase, Many things are low in vitamin C and the by the time it reaches their mouth, there really isn't any left. So supplement that when you can. I use Brightwell Vitamin C and add it at double of the recommended doses given on the side of the bottle. I've tested the ascorbic acid of this product and the levels were still satisfactory.
Cod, tuna, shark, salmon, clams, table shrimp, squid, haddock. If you need more specific help in that area, just let me know. Lobster is very snotty when raw, so avoid that.
But you have a hard road ahead of you to get this guy to improve. Definitely get some vitamin C in there if you can as a first step. Can you remove him from that tank? Moves are stressful, but he has to get away from the puffer. I had a lion get the snot beat out of him every other night and we never saw them fight. They can also be compatible one moment and not so friendly the next due to sexual maturity. All of a sudden space, food and woman are worth fighting over.
Did you add anything recently?

geridoc

Many years ago I inherited a lion (volitans) that only ate goldfish. I tried to convert him to fish flesh, but he was insistent that it had to be goldfish. So I cut open a goldfish and stuffed it full of shrimp, or clam or tuna or whatever I had, and fed the lion like that. He did fine, and lived a long life until we discovered that lion fish, even if on a good diet, are not resistant to electrical shorts from the heater.

dougedoug

I was doing some research and I think this lion may have a blockage in its swim bladder. The fish cannot float motionless like it usually could. It also is not eating for like 4 days.
Found below on an old post
Apparently your Lion Fish's swim bladder has suffered a lapse due to the freezer-burned silversliders. I would have to say that there's a blockage in the fish's swim bladder.
I'm not going to unnecessarily recommend a medicine as I do not belive illness or disease is involved. This problem should rectify itself in time but what I do suggest is that you fast (not feed) the fish for the next 24 hours after that when feeding the fish, make sure the food/silverslides is completely thawed and soft. Feeding the fish after a 24 hour fast might push the enlodged food through the swim bladder thus curing the problem.
This type of problem in salt water fish is rare and difficult to treat but as I mentioned earlier it should pass on its own. Also make sure the water parameters are in order as a problem with the water quality will make a recovery difficult if not impossible.

tkelly336

hi .... my lion fish is swimming upside down... and in circles. I found your post. My guy is about 4 years old. How did you lion fair? I am getting some vitamins to add to the water. Water levels are on point. Feel so bad for this guy..... my sons favorite fish. hate seeing him like this

tkelly336

What are you feeding the lion
Hi Jay, Silver sides, every once in awhile krill,,,,, he seems like he was getting better now he's worse..... tail rip up.... he's swimming faster and more aggessiviely..... .. we dosed the water with vitamin.... not sure what to do ... also lowered the temp of tank so that it would slow down a bit