Lion Fish Wont Eat

sik05rr

I got this fish on Tuesday 6/28/05 and its 7/2/05 and its still not eating. I feed my other fish (Porky Puffer, Dogface Puffer, and Huma Trigger) all shrimp, and they love it. What am I suppost to feed this Lion Fish???? I need help!!!

f1shman

I feed my lionfish Tetra Jumbo Shrimp and he loves it. If yours won't eat anything he's either still adjusting to the tank or he didn't have a good shipping experience. You could also try Mysis Shrimp it suppovly encourages even the pickiest of eaters to eat, my lionfish likes that too, I feed Frozen Mysis shrimp to him sometime. I've had my lionfish for about a year and a half and twice he jsut stopped eating for 5 days, but on the 6th day he chowed down and ate every day after, maybe hes binge eating. Good luck!!

jer4916

i used to have a lion when i had an aggressive tank, i loved him. anyways i found that lions are like small children, unless you feed them what they want they're going to be grumpy about eatting untill they become truely hungry...if you throw a molly in there im sure he'll eat it...but its bad for him so dont do it to often...have you brought him over to dried/dead food yet?..or is he still used to living food?...i fed mine salad shrimp.
~chris
:jumping:

cubfan

Try feeding ghost shrimp to your lion. I have 2 volitans and they need to be weaned over to dead stuff. Start with ghost shrimp to stimulate its' appetite and to make sure it is healthy and eating. Do a thread search and you will find tons of great advise on feeding lions. Don't worry about it not eating for 5 days if it is otherwise acting normal.

alextrif

Silversides - mine eats about two a week. Once was finicky - but he won't pass silversides up. You can get them frozen - they look like little minnows or grunnion.

cubfan

I agree. I weaned mine from live ghost shrimp to frozen silversides and krill. Took me about 4 weeks to wean, but some do it as quick as a week, some take longer.

tome

definetly try sliversides. Its like candy for fish. Dont' worry it will eat. Mine didnt eat for over a week when i first got mine. But then it did, and is doing fine beside the fact my trigger kicks the crap out of it.

alextrif

that's funny - I have a large Picasso Trigger that terrorizes the rest of the tank, but it will not mess with the Lion. I've been lucky. Triggers usually nip at Lions.