lion or eel?

L

leeshalee

[hr]
okay so I have a 55 gal with 2 baby triggers (humu & niger) probably about an inch and a half big. my tank still feels somewhat empty so I was going to add something else (guy at my LFS said it should be okay until their grown) iv been thinking of a small lion fish or a snowflake eel for quite some time now, i just don't know enough pros and cons any suggestions??
(and yes I do realize that a 55 gal will be too small when they are grown, ill probably get a bigger tank size or give them away)
ALSO on another note is there anything I can put in with triggers that may help with brown algae? starfish maybe? or will that be a waste of money?

jay0705

They will eat most inverts. I'd go w a lion but make sure the triggers are big enough he can't eat them. Now once the triggers are grown they may attack the lion. I am not an eel fan due to there temperament when they get older. Also the fact there escape artists

S

saxman

You've already added two very territorial fishes to a tank that's too small...I've seen your posting elsewhere, and your LFS was WAY wrong to sell you those fishes for a 55 gal. That is unless you're going to upgrade...

Neither are compatible with lionfishes, BTW.

L

leeshalee

yes when they are bigger I will upgrade my tank size or give them away
I was leaning more towards the eel anyways hah

S

saxman

As I mentioned on the other site, do not count on being able to give fish that outgrow your tank away easily, esp. aggressive preds. FWIW, once SFE's hit maturity (18" - 20"), they often go postal on their tankmates, esp. in smaller setups, so even the eel may be an issue depending on what you keep with it.