lion question

logen32

Hey
I recently purchased a violent lion.
I have a question about his growth. Right now he is about 3 inches. I realize that this fish grows massive. So how long do u think i would be able to keep him in there. He hasn’t started eating yet, I’m probably going to run to my lfs to try getting him to eat some ghost shrimp.
He is housed with a snowflake eel, a tomato clown and a yellow tang.
And on another subject, I feed my fish all sorts of food. brine, marine qusine, emerald entree, squid, algae sheets, zooplanktons and more. My question is I see him eating all of this but his stomach is never full. It always stays skinny is there something I could do?

thesamm

in a 55 with those fish you will definatly need to upgrade or get rid of some when necessary...id say about a year or year and a half or so...

jcald

The lion fish probably isnt eating enough I had one for 3yrs and he loved frozen silversides. those will fatten him up.

liontamer

You need to vary its diet, not totally on silversides though. Feed it silversides, fresh shrimp, ghost shrimp, scallops, fresh fishes. Squidd. Best variety of fresh seafoods you can think of. Also, id start thinking about getting a big tank soon. I started out with a 55 with my lion, and i ended up upgrading to a 120. You need to start planning for this if you want to keep the lion. Also, please tell me that you have a strong skimmer on that tank, cu that is a fairly large bioload u gots there.

lion_crazz

Silversides is what I feed my lion and after feeding time, it is quite obvious that he got his fill of food.

liontamer

No, mr. Lion_crazz, im not saying that they wont eat it. Im just saying that it isnt healthy to be feeding a fish only one type of food for their whole life. You take things way too literally and personally. Varying a fishes diet will keep it healthier, cuz certain foods have their benefits and their downsides as well. Silversides are great, but they have a good deal of fat. Shrimp is an all around good food for fish, but they cant survive on that alone for too long cuz it lacks vitamins that a fish might need. Squidd (ezpecially tentacles) contain a good amount of vitamins, and the tentacles are muscle so that is probably the tastiest and healthiest part for them. Scallops...i dont like em that much, but lions wille at it and they aren't really that bad for em. You can also benefit from feeding yer lion live damsels every now and then, lol

lion_crazz

No, "Mr. Lion Tamer", you take things too literally because I was not even talking to you. I was talking to the person who posted this, logen32 because I knew what he meant. When I had to get my lion back to eating, I was feeding ghost shrimp and was having the same problem logen was having by him never looking full. That is what prompted me to make my comment:
"Silversides is what I feed my lion and after feeding time, it is quite obvious that he got his fill of food."
So before you retort at me, don't take it so personal.