Lion question

pugnut87

I am really new to the world of Salt water, Somebody close to me does salt water and it is very interesting to me. They have a 75 Gallon reef tank, We have a 34 gallon cube that I want to put a lion in.
Question is if I got a small lion would it be ok by itself in the 34 for awhile. Don't really have any room to put up a bigger tank for now. But maybe in the future??
Thanks for any info.
Cheers

srfisher17

Originally Posted by pugnut87
http:///forum/post/3078550
I am really new to the world of Salt water, Somebody close to me does salt water and it is very interesting to me. They have a 75 Gallon reef tank, We have a 34 gallon cube that I want to put a lion in.
Question is if I got a small lion would it be ok by itself in the 34 for awhile. Don't really have any room to put up a bigger tank for now. But maybe in the future??
Thanks for any info.
Cheers
A fuzzy dwarf, or other small lion can be kept in a 34; IMO. Avoid Volitans and other large lions, they grow faster than any fish I know of. A lion in a tank that size will really limit what you can have for tankmates; when grown, it will eat most species that are common in smaller tanks. They grow to about 7" and can easily scarf a fish nearly half that size. Small inverts will be lunch also.

pugnut87

Ok cool thanks for the info. I would only want to lion in the tank. I really enjoy them and we have the 75 for other kinds of fish.
Cheers

aquaguy24

I have a fuzzy with two leaf scorpionfish in a 24g aquapod. No problems yet. Only had them for a little over 2 months so to early to call it a success story. Plannin on a 34g salona soon.

premilove

when you get your fuzzy, make sure he is eating before you buy him. also, make a cave out of LR so your fuzzy has a nice place to sleep. good luck! at least you are not putting a trigger in a nano like some other irresponsible hobbyists.

grabbitt

I had a fuzzy dwarf in my 30 gal. that was very cooperative. However, it was difficult to establish this since I had to wait a long time to get one into the LFS for me to check out and approve of since many of the lions brought into stores will not eat frozen, which can be a problem. Mine would eat anything dropped into the tank, but he never touched my blood shrimp. Anything smaller, however, was toast. Make sure you do your homework before buying so you know exactly what you can and cannot do as far as tankmates go.

extinct 1ne

Ya, I would say you could get a smaller Lion such as the Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish, but no shrimp or smaller fish. It may attack / eat them.

sepulatian

Fuzzy lions are not the most exciting fish in the world. They hide most of the time. Are you sure that you want to devote your whole tank to one?

cranberry

My fuzzies are some of my favourite fish. I can't say mine hide at all except to go to their "perch" for the night. I have 4 dwarfs and they are all very interactive.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3080211
My fuzzies are some of my favourite fish. I can't say mine hide at all except to go to their "perch" for the night. I have 4 dwarfs and they are all very interactive.
Are they all in seperate tanks? I had a fuzzy for almost two years. Unfortunately an equipment malfunction sent a current through the tank that ended his life. RIP :(
My fuzzy was out at feeding time. He knew what time feeding time was too. After he ate, right back under the rock ledge he went... I have heard the same thing from many others. Maybe I am wrong though. Perhaps others that have had Fuzzy dwarfs will say what they do in their tanks.

cranberry

Ya, they are in separate tanks until they are all the same size.
Some do indeed like their caves but I haven't found them to be recluse like the Fu Manchu.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3080223
Ya, they are in separate tanks until they are all the same size.
Some do indeed like their caves but I haven't found them to be recluse like the Fu Manchu.
Well the Fu is very reclusive. I also had a zebra dwarf... that was an awesome lion. He hardly ever hid. He was up front and center all of the time, which I was told was uncharacteristic of Zebras. It does depend on the individual fish...

R

rcreations

I still have my Fuzzy Dwarf, he's got a new larger 65gal home now. Mine perches most of the day, knows that feeding time is around 5pm and starts swimming around that time, then eats and perches again until around 9pm, then he's very active after that.

pugnut87

Thanks again for all of the info. We have a 75 Gallon reef tank setup, so devoting the 34 with a small lion is just fine.
I have been doing alot of reading and all of the input from you guys is helping as well. I will start out with the lion and then figure out if i want to get tank mate that will work, we'll see.
Cheers