lion wont eat

sankysyuck

Yea basically try everything till it finds something it likes. Just don't pollute your water. And yes I'd also recommend the garlic soak; I use the premaid formula by SeaChem called Garlic Guard. It works great with fresh and saltwater fish; I especially use it when I purchase finicky eating Discus and my stingray loves it too

rubberduck

well i heard you have to teach them to feed them by doing stuff like soaking in garlic etc. just try everything

wgc

Tie a piece of dental floss around one of the legs of a krill and bob it in the tank. After a day or two he'll take them as soon as you drop them in the tank. Mine didn't eat for a week when i first got him and that worked.

pamplona

When i first got my russel lionfish...he did not want to take anything frozen ie dead. I stimulated his appetite by feeding several ghost shrimp a day for about 2 weeks...after each feeding of the live shrimp i threw a silverside...in the beginning he did not take the silversides...i guess what i really wanted him to do was for the lionfish to associate silversides with the live shrimp as his food...i then started to feed him everyother day...soon enough he was so used to being feed and associating me with "food" he started to take the silversides....

lion_crazz

Originally posted by Pamplona
When i first got my russel lionfish...he did not want to take anything frozen ie dead. I stimulated his appetite by feeding several ghost shrimp a day for about 2 weeks...after each feeding of the live shrimp i threw a silverside...in the beginning he did not take the silversides...i guess what i really wanted him to do was for the lionfish to associate silversides with the live shrimp as his food...i then started to feed him everyother day...soon enough he was so used to being feed and associating me with "food" he started to take the silversides....

Yup, I would definitely start him out with live ghost shrimp and wean him to frozen that way. The way that has worked for me, and many others, including people that I have helped is as follows. Buy your live ghost shrimp. First, make sure he accepts ghost shrimp and eats them pretty quickly. Feed him only one at a time. Once he eats the first, put another into the water. If he does accept and eat them quickly, feed him a few days straight of just putting them into the water and allowing him to grab them quickly. Then, after a few days, begin to feed him every other day. The lion will start to recognize you as the food source and he will periodically swim to the top of the tank when he sees you. When it comes time to feed him, take out one ghost shrimp and instead of just dropping it in the water, hold it between your fingers and make him want the food. Drag it along the surface and make him follow your fingers. After he follows your fingers for a few seconds, release the food and allow him to eat it. Continue to feed him this way for a week. In one week, he should very readily accept frozen silversides this same way without any problem, because he will recognize in his brain that your fingers mean food. Then, after a week or two of doing it with the silversides, feeding him should not be an issue at all.

pamplona

actually i got to say thanks lion__crazz....you're the one you initially gave me the advice....with the ghost shrimp and teasing them and stuff...thanksa a bunch

lion_crazz

Originally posted by Pamplona
actually i got to say thanks lion__crazz....you're the one you initially gave me the advice....with the ghost shrimp and teasing them and stuff...thanksa a bunch

Oh cool! Thanks!