Lionfish Handling

benj420

I'm considering getting a Dwarf Fuzzy Lionfish but don't know how to handle a fish like this. I guess a standard net wouldn't do it, so how do you transfer it into your QT without a net?

steve40

very carefully lol
i saw sometype of scooper at the LFS that i thought was pretty cool. it looks like a spoon that is used to pour punch but the round part is alot deaper and looks like a bowl with a handle attached to it. it is clear and see-through and has an elongated handle. I was actually looking through the internet and havent seen any articles with that topic.

robchuck

You could also use a net to chase it into a container. That is what I do with all of my fish when I need to move them. This method gives you less of a chance of injuring a fish or tearing a fin.

musipilot

I use a plastic strainer (big one, for spaghetti) to move lions, and also use it for my long spined urchin. Works great.

S

simm

I used a net and chased him into a container as well. But if he gets into the net leave it and he will wiggle his way out.

kev

Is it ok to net a lionfish like any other fish? THats how my LFS got mine for me. Is that bad? :D

S

simm

Iv done it both ways. However they can get tangled up in it and probably break a few spines but they will untangle themselves.

entice59

i just scoop it off the water like a bear tring to catch the salmon with its paw. Only a real man can handle pain! MUAH HAHAHAHAHHA im kidding
i saw the lfs guy just get a big rubbermaid container and just slow scoop it up so it wont startle the fish...

buzz

Well, if you get stung....come on....some of you know where I'm going with this....just.......................PEE ON IT!!!!!
Heh Heh :D

benj420

Actually, I know the answer to that one. It is like a bee sting. A pretty good sized bee, but is rarely fatal. It is probably just about as likely that you would die of a bee sting. Just run it under hot water and it will help to detoxify the toxin.
I didn't expect to get this many answers, so I'm going to put up a post in the Reef Section about how people net, scoop, strain their fish. Should get a lot of good tips.