lionfish/inverts help

cottam411

have a 150 gal with 4 inch spiny lobsters and 2-3 inch urchins will a 6 inch volitan lionfish eat these. will they only eat what will fit in their mouth or will they tear apart urchins until they fit thanks other tankmates are large enough to care of themselves

jon321

Lions will not touch things like urchins, snails, starfish, etc. I dont know what the growth rates of the spiny lobster are, but it should be fine. If you had a 12" lion and a 4" lobster I could definitely see potential problems. Lions swallow their prey whole, but you would be surprised what they can fit in their mouths...I have a radiata lion that swallowed a sally lightfoot crab that was 1/2 its size!
Jon

srfisher17

Originally Posted by cottam411
have a 150 gal with 4 inch spiny lobsters and 2-3 inch urchins will a 6 inch volitan lionfish eat these. will they only eat what will fit in their mouth or will they tear apart urchins until they fit thanks other tankmates are large enough to care of themselves
Well cared for Volitans grow unbelievably fast.I think the lobsters are safe for now; but in a while, who knows? My new one went from about 3" to 8" in 5 months...and will get the traditional Christmas Betta (or Beta, like they say at *****) tomorrow--one of our family's favorite holiday events; we missed 2 Christmas betta feedings after Katrina and things just didn't seem right.

S

shark bait

I am going to say a blue lobster will be fine but they are really trouble in a tank. read up on them and maybe do other things.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by srfisher17
Well cared for Volitans grow unbelievably fast.I think the lobsters are safe for now; but in a while, who knows? My new one went from about 3" to 8" in 5 months...and will get the traditional Christmas Betta (or Beta, like they say at *****) tomorrow--one of our family's favorite holiday events; we missed 2 Christmas betta feedings after Katrina and things just didn't seem right.
EEK! I hope you don't mean a FW colorful and loveable betta fish! Why?
Anyway, the lion is not likely to bother your inverts at all. They go for fish that can fit into their wide mouths. BTW, lions can eat a fish half the size of their body.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by sepulatian
EEK! I hope you don't mean a FW colorful and loveable betta fish! Why?
Anyway, the lion is not likely to bother your inverts at all. They go for fish that can fit into their wide mouths. BTW, lions can eat a fish half the size of their body.
Why? Tradition! (BTW, I get a lfs to save one that croaked and freeze it until Christmas.) .....maybe.

keri

you feed your fish dead (from sickness?) FW fish? I guess freezing it maybe helps but...ew lol
Will lions not bother hermit crabs then?

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Keri
you feed your fish dead (from sickness?) FW fish? I guess freezing it maybe helps but...ew lol
Will lions not bother hermit crabs then?
I'll only admit to NOT feeding lions FW fish, except on very rare occasions. I'll leave the crab question to someone else, I don't keep them. (Although I'm sure that if one was homeless, he'd be lunch.)