lionfish predator

cottam411

just purchased 6 inch volitan for fish only tank was worried if he would eat 6 inch spiny lobster .spiny is scared of tangs ,birdwrasse but within couple hours went after lionfish and actually killed lionfish so dont try mixing lionfish if you have spiny lobsters all were in 150 gal so had lots of elbow room guess venomous spines dont scare hard shelled lobsters

srfisher17

Originally Posted by cottam411
just purchased 6 inch volitan for fish only tank was worried if he would eat 6 inch spiny lobster .spiny is scared of tangs ,birdwrasse but within couple hours went after lionfish and actually killed lionfish so dont try mixing lionfish if you have spiny lobsters all were in 150 gal so had lots of elbow room guess venomous spines dont scare hard shelled lobsters
With big fish & inverts, there are no hard and fast rules. Anything can attack anything; the coral reef is a tough neighborhood to grow up in.

crashbandicoot

I had a big red hermit that would go right in the mix of triggers after pieces of shrimp . He was truely the king of the tank

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Crashbandicoot
I had a big red hermit that would go right in the mix of triggers after pieces of shrimp . He was truely the king of the tank
.with a death wish. Sometimes we see things that defy all the rules.

hammerhed7

Lions can be prone to attack by lobsters due to their sedentary nature giving the lobster a chance to get ahold of him, this can also happen with eels, Lions also do not fare well with fast moving aggressive fish such as triggers and large angels. For being labeled and an "aggressive" fish, you really have to be careful choosing tank mates for lion fish.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Hammerhed7
Lions can be prone to attack by lobsters due to their sedentary nature giving the lobster a chance to get ahold of him, this can also happen with eels, Lions also do not fare well with fast moving aggressive fish such as triggers and large angels. For being labeled and an "aggressive" fish, you really have to be careful choosing tank mates for lion fish.
I very much agree. Lions are labeled as aggressive because they eat fish. They are often the subject of predatory behavior though. Lions sleep on the sand behind rocks which is easy prey for a lobster.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by sepulatian
I very much agree. Lions are labeled as aggressive because they eat fish. They are often the subject of predatory behavior though. Lions sleep on the sand behind rocks which is easy prey for a lobster.
I agree too; I've never considered lions to be "aggressive"; at least in the same way triggers, large angels, etc. are---they are predators that seldom bother anything they can't swallow.