Lions And Clowns

fastlane13

Hey everyone.....DO lionfish and clownfish get together? LIke a volitan lionfish and percula clowns or clarkii clowns? Im getting a 55 gallon and i was wondering if a dwarf zebra lion that grows 7 inches and 2 clarkii clowns, a dwarf angel and a kole tang would go well with each other. I also know that in a couple of years im gonna upgrade to like a 150 gallon.

lion_crazz

The only problem that I see with your set-up is if your lion is bigger than the clowns. If he is, he will eat the clowns. However, if you get the clowns bigger to start, you should not have a problem.

revfred

Had a black volitan once with two nice sized perculas. The lived well together for about 2 months and then one morning the smaller of the two perculas was gone. Lion was fat and happy. About a 1 1/2 weeks later the larger percula was gone which really surprised me. Again the lion was fat and happy.
Moral: Be afraid, be very afraid.

harlequin

A vols will eat them as is stated above. I have the second setup and it works fine. I have a 2 and a half year old perc clown living with a fully grown zebra and the lion is not big enough to eat the clown. There is also a smaller orange spotted goby which after a year remains uneaten as well. So the second configuration is do-able but be sure the lion is added last and starts small and the clowns are full grown.

fastlane13

Ok Thanks...i still dont know if im going to do the lion because i really like the black perculas and i wouldnt want to put a lion in to eat them..that would be a big waste!

fastlane13

What is your recommendation for how much live rock i should put in a 55 if i want to bliuld a reef with half the tank as swimming space...also my lfs can order a lionfish called a dwarf zebra that only grow about 5-6 inches. Would that and two clowns, a baby tiny blue tang (that i would give to my lfs when it gets to big), and a dwarf angel fit?

harlequin

skip the tang and it should work. I have the same setup(with a goby instead of one of the clowns) with fish and its very tellable if I add something else. My water quality goes downhill and algae comes out hard. Lions are really messy fish and my guess would count almost double for bioload.
Also be prepared to be giving it live shrimp for awhile for food and only with alot of patience being able to ween it onto prepared food and even then not always. I have had mine for over a year and it still refuses prepared foods, fortunately I have access to a dock and limitless numbers of grass shrimp. I could probably feed it by hand, and used to with my several old pterois species of lions, my dwarf has its dorsal rays(spines) too far forward(compared to the pterois'es I had) and I am too leery to chance it.