Lipstick tank?

lar

I'm assuming a Lipstick tang would require more room then a 120 gal 5 foot long tank would provide?? any thoughts...

karajay

I personally would not add one to a tank that size. An adult can reach 18in. They are also relatively stiff-bodied and need lots of room to swim and turn.

tony detroit

They are also much harder to keep than everyone seems to think. After I lost my first one I did everything I could I've had the one I have now for close to a year in a few months, but seriously like once every other week somebody has a thread titled "my naso won't eat". Many people have extreme difficulty getting them to eat. A uv sterillizer helps a lot IMO too. I feed 13 different foods in different combinations seven times daily. Please don't buy one unless you really are sure you can keep one. Also if you do buy one make sure you see it eat at the lfs and acclimate it very slowly when you get it home. They stress very easily.

tony detroit

btw mine is particularly fond of spectrum pellets, kent reef herbivore pellets and seaweed selects. He eats other things but really likes the ones I just listed.

ebsochin

I agree with Tony detroit, they are very picky eaters, but if you can find one that is eating well in the LFS, that would be the one to get. The one I have is about 11inches and has the streamers growing. I feed mine seaweed selects, frozen brine and prime reef flakes soaked in garlic and kent zoe twice a day. Beautiful fish, but like tony and karajay said, they need alot of swimming room. Mine is in a 180 and it is almost to small for him. I do have another much smaller one in a 75gal (about 4inches) and he has plenty of room. But they do grow large quick. Lots of luck to you and hope this helps.

lar

It looks like that's out, How many Yellow tangs would be comfortable. Tank size, 60x18 by 26" high. Maybe just a single... That sticks to the original plan...
The plan was for many very small reef fish with just one that would grow beyond 3 in. any Suggestions for small fish...
The tank is a softcoral reef, I positioned rock so there is good swimming room front/back and above. Good hiding places in the Center. I have 10 small fish now, GreenChromis/Yellow chromis/damsel/dottyback/clown. They hardly touch the available swimming room. One old timer in the hobby/since the mid 60s/ told me I could easily have up to 25 little guys in this tank?? It has two hang on the back protein skimmers, hundred lbs plus of live rock, Plan to add a UV. Lights are 440 watts of VHO.

karajay

A few of my small fish ideas:
royal gramma
sixline wrasse
firefish gobies
lawnmower blenny
bangaii cardinals
Good decision to keep only one yellow tang. I think it will make a nice looking show fish for you.

smarls

Maybe some Bartlett's Anthias? Still pretty small fish, and three would make a nice little school in your tank?
Hmm...otherwise I might actually add more green chromis and get a big school swimming around...ok I just realized, maybe I have a schooling fish problem!
Stewart