Little help with a refugium.

dstoneburg

What I plan to have is a moderatly high stocked DT. With it being moderatly stocked I want top notch filtration. For lack of being able to get a bigger tank(space wise) I want to make up for it under the tank filtration wise. I currently have a overflow running into my sump which seems like a standard sump to me. Runs through a filter pad, trickles through bio-balls and then runs into the skimmer/return pump area. My question is I would LOVE to add a refugium to the mix. I'm thinking of modding a simple HOB filter(pengiun?) and adding it to the area where the return pump/skimmer is.
The idea is I would hang it off the side of the sump, add cheato, and a cheap clip on light. It would then suck up the water from the skimmer/return pump area, run it through and drop it down. This seems like it would work in theory to me. But in practice there seems like a few more things to consider. Such as..
Is there a certain order water must be moved? I.E. skim--->fuge--->pump? Or will how I want to set this up work out well?
Will a simple HOB filter and a clipon light and some cheato do well? Should I add a little LR rubble or some LS?
Any problems you forsee me running into? Are there any problems with running both a fuge and bio-balls? As I always see posts, people ask for "either bioballs or fuge" but never both.
Alas one more seperate question. I have about 100bls of LR and about half of it is fully cured. I put them both together in my tank and 50lbs of it has a bad smell to is indicating to me it still has die-off. All of the LR came from a well-established setup, just half of it had less then adequte transportation:)P). I do not have the tank stocked yet, am I going to see a cycle? Or just some spikes?

maxalmon

Hoestly you could just toss a handfull of cheato into the existing sump, clip a light on and your done. You don't have to contain the chaeto....You could eve toss it into the DT and let it roll around....
You'll have to wait till for the LR to cure, just increase the water flow if you can while the LR is in the curing stage...Jim