Live Brine Question

mx mr bean

I've always kept them in the fridge to extend their life between feedings but i have recently stopped growing phytoplankton and now have a spare air pump lying around. Would it be better to put them in a cup and run the air pump in it or just keep them in the fridge?

bang guy

Originally Posted by mx Mr Bean
http:///forum/post/2956634
I've always kept them in the fridge to extend their life between feedings but i have recently stopped growing phytoplankton and now have a spare air pump lying around. Would it be better to put them in a cup and run the air pump in it or just keep them in the fridge?
If you're going to feed them then they are better off warm. If you're not going to feed them they should be cooled to slow down their metabolism.

jackri

Ideally I would run two batches at a time at alternate times, and feed once the majority has hatched as that's when they are highest in nutrional value. I know someone that runs two 2-liter bottles, and feeds out one of the two liters every other day so he has a constant supply. The eggs float to the top... so he drains the bottom majority of live brine out (you don't want hatched egg shells in your tank) and feeds them immediately. The next day, the next batch is ready to feed and so on.

mx mr bean

About how long do you think that they will live in the aerated cup? When i refrigerate them they tend to last about 4 or 5 days before starting to die off.

mx mr bean

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/2956650
Ideally I would run two batches at a time at alternate times, and feed once the majority has hatched as that's when they are highest in nutrional value. I know someone that runs two 2-liter bottles, and feeds out one of the two liters every other day so he has a constant supply. The eggs float to the top... so he drains the bottom majority of live brine out (you don't want hatched egg shells in your tank) and feeds them immediately. The next day, the next batch is ready to feed and so on.
I would definitely do that if i was hatching them but i just go over to my LFS when i run out. He gives em to me for free so i figured i might aswell save some work lol.