Live Food

tanklover

My Stars and Strip Puffer and Black Edge Morey are both eating frozen food is it necessary to still feed them live food and if so what kind?

If They are eating frozen food well there is no reason to feed any live,as long as you are giving a variety of frozen, we feed, hole squid,crab leg meat[real not immatation]brine, mysis,formula 1-2,bloodworms,. We do on a TREAT basis only will give a few goldfish,guppies, and sometimes an occasional crawdad, maybe once a month, but its not neccasary, hope this helps....fixit :)

mark-24

Another treat would be a chromis, damsel, or a cheap shrimp. They provide great nutrition that frozen food doesn't have. Don't get me wrong, frozen food is great, just as long as you keep it varied. Also, live feedings increase aggressive behavior. I usally feed my fish smelt, mysis shrimp, formula 1, and I'm still weening the lion to frozen, but today he devoired the mysis shrimp.
-Mark

guppie

If they are off the live food keep them off it they will get more of what they need from the frozen. Good Luck

eventually get them off live. i used to just feed live but i got lazy. give them frozen foods. you can make your own frozen foods with squid,shrimp,scallops,octupus blended and freeze. very meaty meal..you can give them live as a treat.

pufferlover

I agree with the majority. Live to me is uneccesary and potentialy harmful (if you get sick live feeders). If you have luck with frozen stay with it. Live Brine or Blackworms or even ghost shrimp are Ok but in my mind thats it. For more about what to feed, etc for Puffs check out my homepage (little man next to house).
[ October 28, 2001: Message edited by: Pufferlover ]