Live rock alive or dying?

pikapp168

I am very new to this and understand the cycling process. I tested my water and everything is good. I have a brownish with a slight of green hint type of algea growing. Is this normal? Nothing is falling off of the rock but I was curious is this normal? It is more brownish then green. I haven't put any fish in the tank yet. The live rock has been in for maybe a 2 to 3 weeks. Am I doing anything wrong? :notsure: :help: :notsure:

fedukeford

Algea in a new tank is perfectly normal. Once the cycle is done and your tank has matured it should go away on its own.
Feduke

tk

I'm relatively new also. What I've learned from this forum, is that the algea, either green or brown, is not going to hurt anything other than it looks bad, but it does indicate a problem.
I've read that it indicates a high phosphate level usually caused by something decomposing. Over-feeding (which I've been guilty of) would be the first culprit, or too much light (which I've been guilty of), next would be that something has croaked and is decomposing, producing food for the algea. I'll have an algea bloom that I've tracked down to dead snail or something similar. It can show up in a day! I usually find the brown stuff growing in the live sand on aquarium floor and the green stuff on the LR and aquarium glass.
After correcting the problem, I've brushed the rock with a tooth brush and scraped the glass with a razor blade.
I'm sure that someone will be able to help further. Just hang loose and your help will magically appear!

Tom K

michaeltx

in a new tank your going to have algae cycles with brown diatoms and green film algae if it was a new tank then as tk said it would indicate a problem but in a new tank the algae is useing up nutrients in the tank after it uses up the nutrients it will go away.
also ueing RO/DI water will help if your not already useing it.
mike

pikapp168

Thanks everyone! It is a new tank, maybe a month old. I don't have fish in it yet. All my readings have been good. I have used distilled water and it seems like that is helping. I just figuired that it was the tank going through a cycle. Thanks again to everyone!
:happyfish

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Live rock will change so much, 2 years from now it won't even look like the same rock you originally bought. Its live, and things grow on it, die off, new things grow on it. Most things growing on it is good, with some bad.