live rock and light question

zippgirl

I think I know the answer to this but I need some advice. I want to start an agressive tank FOWLR, if I am not wanting coraline algae is live rock still live with just a single tube flourescent tube. Basically the light that comes with the tank. My question is if you are not worried about coraline algae is live rock still live under standard light, because I know it provides an excellent biofilter. Also can I use it in the place of the bio balls even though there will be no light in my sump. Does it has to be completly sumerged in water in the sump or can water trickle over it like it does the bio balls. Thank you for any help and advice you can give me.

Live rock doesn't need any light to be live, all it needs in ammonia as so the bacteria can eat and reproduce and what not. I would suggest some new lights just because coraline looks nice but you by no means need them. I would say you would probably want to keep the live rock totally underwater in your sump because bacteria lives best when fully submerged as opposed to being exposed to air but I may be wrong on that.