Live rock and Nitrates

sal t. nutz

What exactly living in the live rock, converts the Nitrates to NO2? Does coraline algee actually do this. Eveyone seems to want coraline to grom on all of their rocks, but is this just because it is nice looking, or is it the main thing that helps a tank with natural filtration?

fshhub

everything living in ond on the rock, eats teh excess nutrients in the water as well, so it helps there by removing them as well(before they become nitrate),
so the bacteria helps here, as well as the pods and the algae too(which feeds on the impurities in the water as welll
this is IMO and in addition to anthems posts

sal t. nutz

So am I to assume that these bacteria would develop whether or not I put in actual LR to seed the Base rock? People say you need to seed the Base rock with LR. Well, I could see this being the case for the Coraline algee, but as for the bacteria, I would think you could buy this in a bottle and seed the rock, or they would spontaniously appear as they do in nature.

fshhub

the bacteria will appear in the cycle, but lr will speed itup and, add like yousaid, coraline in addition to many other things, like pods, sponges, maybe some corals and other inverts and worms to help clean the tank as well