Live Rock Aquascaping

earlybird

I have a few questions about aquascaping.
1. Is the Fiji LR on swf.com worth purchasing or should I go to my lfs to hand pick the rocks to ensure that I get "pretty" rocks?
2. What is involved in the process? I've read that it is best to put the rocks in first (before LS) to prevent burrowing fish from loosening up the structure. Am I right in assuming that while adding the LR I should keep it moist?
3. How essential is epoxy?
4. Anything else I've missed that I should know?
Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by earlybird
1. Is the Fiji LR on swf.com worth purchasing or should I go to my lfs to hand pick the rocks to ensure that I get "pretty" rocks?

Well I ordered Fiji LR from this site a few days ago and it arrived yesterday and I have to tell ya, it was unbelievable. None of the rock at any of my lfs's had anything that could even compare. So basically I would recommend the rock on this site. The rocks were all great sizes, I ordered the 45-50 lbs box and it had some huge pieces and some smaller pieces. I have no complaints whatsoever about what I got and I plan to order more soon. Hope this helps at least a little.

reefkprz

remember to cure your rock before adding it to your tank
and epoxy is a preferance thing, I never use it to cement my rocks because I am always moving fragging and rearranging stuff. if you think your going to set it up once then leave it for the life of your tank you can use epoxy, I just preferr to have to option of rearanging to fit in new corals or just to make my tank look different.

earlybird

Thanks for the replies. What about adding it first before water and sand? I've seen that some put water in the tank then add rock then sand. How much of a PIA is that? I would think that the sand would get all over the place with this method.

blissninny

I have ordered fiji lr from this site twice and was thoroughly impressed each time...beautiful and full of life.

reefkprz

it does but then you just blow the rocks off with a powerhead or baster and let it settle again.

azreefgirl

Thanks for the replies. What about adding it first before water and sand? I've seen that some put water in the tank then add rock then sand. How much of a PIA is that? I would think that the sand would get all over the place with this method.
I used a large funnel and attached a length of hose to it to add my sand around my LR. It worked perfectly; I just aimed the hose where I wanted the sand to go. Just went to the "Tool Corral" at H. Depot and picked up a funnel, then had them cut a couple feet of a hose that fit nicely on the end of the funnel. I think it had an inner diameter of 3/4" or 1". Since I rinsed the sand before I put it in, it wanted to get stuck in the funnel, so I just took a plastic cup and with tank water and poured it through along with the sand.

earlybird

So it is the best way to add water first, then rock, followed by sand. I thought it would be easier and less messy to add rock, then sand, followed by water (making sure that while workign with the rock to keep it moist)?

azreefgirl

That may work if you know exactly how you want your rock in the aquarium. Most people find themselves changing around the rock configuration a few, maybe several times, before they're happy with it.

f14peter

So it is the best way to add water first, then rock, followed by sand. I thought it would be easier and less messy to add rock, then sand, followed by water (making sure that while workign with the rock to keep it moist)?
By following that process, it would be inevitable that you'd either stir the sand up severely, or it would take a heck of a lot of time as you'd have to add the water quite slowly.
As for adding sand to a filled tank, for the most part I used a tube and poured the sand into it to get the sand into the nooks and crannies. Interestingly, I found that taking a large plastic cup filled with the sand, then pouring it into the tube while under water to work quite well. The water made the sand flow very easy down the tube. I rinsed the sand thoroughly before hand, so there was nearly no dust.
Buying rock . . . to save money, we bought about 110lbs (90 Fiji and 20 tonga branch) over the internet and it was a nice selection of somewhat larger pieces. We then augmented that with some smaller pieces bought locally.

f14peter

Peter,
Where did you get the tonga branch?
As board policy prohibits discussing or posting the site address of competitors (A policy I agree with) here, I must respectfully decline to answer your question on this board.
However, if you'd like to chat off-board, I can be reached at f14peter-at-yahoo-dot-com

nick76

I would say sand 1st, then water, then rock. Dig out some of the sand and place some base rock down on the bottom of the tank, then place the LR on top of that.