Live Rock bad for fish?

I was at the LFS yesterday and I overheard that LR is not good for a fish only tank because if you medicate the fish, the chemicals will kill the micro-organisms in the rock...and this makes sense...but....my question is, am I doing anything detrimental by having 2 fish in my tank that contains live rock and live sand?

aileena

what you have heard is correct...but you are not doing anything adverse to your fish by having the LR...as a matter of fact its better because it acts as a natural biological filtration and also provides hiding places for the fish.
However there is a trade off with having LR and that is, as you mentioned, you cannot add medicines, like copper, since they kill all the inverts and basically destroy the LR...
its a tradeoff...thats all!

squidd

You really shouldn't "medicate" in the main tank anyway... Remove sick fish and place in a QT/Hospital tank to treat.
1.Most Meds will affect the LR/Biological filtration.
2.Other fish in tank may not be Ill and excess Meds could adversely affect them.
3.By moving to a "smaller" QT Less Meds are needed(cost) and it is easier to figure dosage..ie:10gal QT @1 tab per 10 gal or 55gal display with 45lbs LR do I have 30 or 40 gallons of water in there?
4. Removing fish for ICH/Hypo treatment allows "fish borne' parasites to die off in main display.
But, LR/LS in a "healthy" display will NOT harm fish, quite the opposite...It is beneficial for the overall quality of life for your inhabitants.
:cool: