Live Rock & Cycling

beth

Administrator
Staff member
OK, I am not a reef aquarist. Old fashion FO setup. I have read so much about using rock to cycle and that they seem to do well in FO setups, I'd like an opinion on this. I have an UG setup...yes, I really meant the old fashion FO way of doing things. The tank is fully cycled, all readings are good, except for high nitrates and a bit of phosphate. What would habben if I replaced my bleached coral with live rock??

kris

Well, beth what you'd end up with is a more well rounded aquarium like I did. I added live rock not because I wanted it really but
because I thought it would benefit my fish. Giving my tangs and angels ( may they rest in peace) something to graze on and it provided more refuges. I did not notice a drop in nitrates though, it is supposed to be an "added filter system". And the creatures are quite interesting. I did not totally replace the corals though, just added the extra rock in back and built a little fishy playground and they really were happier. I would go for it.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What do you mean, Kris, may they rest in peace [your tangs and angels]??
My concern is that I have an old fashion setup...meaning undergravel. Can live rock tolerate this tpye of filtration system? Also, my nitrates are very high [as high as it gets!]. Can rock tolerate that?
My setup is basically: 72 gal [with about 50 gal of actual sea water], undergravel powered by 2 powerheads, canister filter and UV. I don't want to make any dramatic changes right now, cause of cost, and, also, I don't want any equiptment hanging off the back of my tank. I've thought about doing a skimmer, but, that too, unless you have a sump, is visable in the display tank...which I don't think I want. If rock doesn't get rid of nitrates, then what exactly is the water quality benefit?? I know its used to cycle, but I'm beyond that. Any details about the subject would be greatly appreaciated !
[This message has been edited by beth (edited 03-18-2000).]

the rock

the rock says....
live rock, live sand, macro algae, live rock can have nitrate eating bacteria, you need a protein skimmer to help to remove the excess waste in your tank, what is removing the waste? that is your problem, add some inverts like hermits, crabs, and shrimp and then they too will control any algae build ups you have along with chow any waste in your tank as well as stir the substrate