LIVE ROCK DEAD ROCK

fishinchick

My husband has befriended the owner of a company that supplies So. Calif area with real salt water from the ocean. They had a bin of coral that has sat dry for about 8 months while they entertained thoughts of starting into the live rock business.
My husband was told to pick out some to take home to me (better than flowes or candy!). The rock is clearly coral type, and looks exactly like my live rock already in my tank (figi). But it is white, and clear of algae or growth I only see a little crust of sand sticking here and there. As I said it has sat in a large bin for several months out of water entirely.
If I wash it, can I add it to my aquarium? Will it wreak havoc? There are some really nice pieces and I would love to add them.
Should I wash them in fresh water? Or soak them for a few days or throw them as far out my front door as I can?
Any reccomendations?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Clean if off good with a deadicated brush and use it.
You could even bleck it just to make sure that nothing alive is on it. If you do that, make sure that it is washed down very well, leave it in the sun for a day or 2 then soak it in declorinated water. Test the water for clorine after it has been soaking to make sure you get no clorine readings before introducing it to your tank.

fishinchick

It appears to be dead coral reef that had broken off and been rolled around a bit, this is what they said it was. No sharp edges, but there are alot of nooks and crannies and little caverns.
(Keeping in mind that the place where the rock was taken from is a California plant) The divers just picked it up from the base of one of their dives from a reef (There are coral reefs in ca? Maybe they got it in Mexico - My husband is as informative as the rock :p ).
Like I said it has the same look and feel and consistency of the figi rock from my LFS store. Its relatively light like my figi, but it doesnt have all the pink n' green stuff on it
Thanks for the cleaning tips, the trashcan is filling with water as we speak!