Live rock / fish questions

jcnflies

Hi and thanks in advance for the help.
I have kept Africans (mostly tropheus) for a few years and love them, but now I want to add a sw tank. I have been reading a couple of recommended books - all of which recommend adding some live rock to a sw tank.
Locally on LI, we have a high end pet store, Country Critters, that has a pretty big sw fish section. They said that I should not mix fish with live rock. I told them whta the book said. The salesman countered that water for live rock has a higher salinity that invites parasites and problems for the fish. This I did not read in any book.
I am hoping to make a tank with some live rock as well as some open space, eventually maybe add a couple of corals (or other bright colored plants / animals). The tank would be a 75 gallon RR with a skimmer and a refegium (sp?) sump underneath. I don't want incredibly expensive lighting but would still like to have some colorful additions to the live rock base and maybe 8 fish or so in the tank. Does this sound like a set up I can have - or is the guy at the store right : live rock or fish but not both. Thx again.

mcsd22

I think that 99.9% of the folks on the board would say that you need live rock to keep a healthy and stable tank. I would ask the LFS guy why a reef in the ocean is teaming with fish when its full of LR? Having LR is a good think and you will be fine with it. Most recomend 1.5 to 2 pounds per gallon of water.

omgsaltwat

Originally Posted by mcsd22
I think that 99.9% of the folks on the board would say that you need live rock to keep a healthy and stable tank. I would ask the LFS guy why a reef in the ocean is teaming with fish when its full of LR? Having LR is a good think and you will be fine with it. Most recomend 1.5 to 2 pounds per gallon of water.
I agree..JMO