live rock for my sump?

stevel

I want to put some lr in my 30 gal sump.The lfs has fiji rock for $5 lb and what he calls base rock for $3 lb.What is base rock and would it be any good for sump use?I used the fiji rock in my main tank but was wondering if the base rock would be ok for the sump.
Thanks, Steve

I would go with the live rock in the sump, Base rock is not live rock, it will not do anything in the sump, on the other hand the live rock will work.

sheracr123

Just curious. Would rock that had been in an established tank for 7 yrs be considered live rock? My LFS tor down one of their tanks and was selling the rock out of it. It does have little brown "grass" growing on it. They are calling it base rock as well.

well in most places you can get really small pieces that usually will not be put on diplay in tank for a dollar a pound. i once used it for my sump as well. they are usually about the size of a quarter to a half dollars.

stevel

That's what I thought but wanted to get other opinions. All the fiji I have is to nice to put in the sump I'll have to see if he has any small pieces that he'll sell cheep.
Thanks