Live Rock From Beach?

pinkydinky1

Hi I live in florida and there is a inlet near by with crystal clear water and live rock every where and I was just wondering instead of paying for live rock can i just go down to the inlet and fill up some bins of the live rock thats already there? The live rock thats there looks exactly like what you would get in a pet store. Thanks

xlr8

Yeah, you may want to check into the legality of that.
Plus, you can't judge the cleanliness of the water just by its appearance, or the composition of the rock,so be cautious about that aspect as well.

nissan577

hey pinky, i live in miami and i have not been stop. yet again i hide it
but still i dont wanna do it cause it brings unwanted critters to your tank. if you have the time and patient to take it out like i did. then its ok.

kingtriton

it is illegal to take rock out of most oceans without some sort of permit, I scuba and snorkel all the time...and have done it myself, but you can get a large fine for it if you are caught....Ive always thought about just buying some base rock and putting it in the ocean for myself and leave it sit for a few months though
...I guess it would be my rock anyways so I would be able to take my own rock with no issues (besides the unwanted critters, pollutants, etc)

T

tizzo

Best I can gather, it is not legal.
see page 4...
http://www.myfwc.com/docs/Commission...0collecting%22
But all that aside, I brought home a small piece to video how many isopods it had in it!! On the gulf side, near the beaches there are way to many predators to even want that stuff!! Not sure about the Ocean side though...
edit in... I was googling while KT was posting... So now my post is old news, lol.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by KingTriton
http:///forum/post/3139587
it is illegal to take rock out of most oceans without some sort of permit, I scuba and snorkel all the time...and have done it myself, but you can get a large fine for it if you are caught....Ive always thought about just buying some base rock and putting it in the ocean for myself and leave it sit for a few months though
...I guess it would be my rock anyways so I would be able to take my own rock with no issues (besides the unwanted critters, pollutants, etc)
Additionally, Florida as not issued a permit for live rock collection since the 80's. Live rock is one of the big things FWC officers do look for. You probably could have 20 Queen angels, and they might not care, but 2 buckets of LR, watch out.
I am all for personal collection and have a good bit myself (for stuff I can collect). Just don't be a toolbag and take live rock. They play a pretty big role in the grand scheme of things.

xcali1985

If it is legal or you don't care if it is, I would suggest hypo treatment for at least a week with it. That should make most of the critters in it uncomfortable and leave the rock looking for a more suitable home.
Before putting it into the tank I would again rinse it with Saltwater possibly from an old WC. I don't use Ocean Water just for the fact that I don't trust whats in it.