Live Rock from Ick tank to start new tank??

benihuma

Ok, my fish got ick, so I made a hospital tank. I was planning on my main tank with the live rock sitting for a month to clear the ick. Is it safe to use the live rock to start a new tank with? Can I dip it in something if needed? I just acquired an eclipse and would like to start cycling a quarantine tank. Thanks for letting me know. Also, can I heat the water in the main tank to kill the ick? Just wondering if there is anyway to kill the ick without killing the bacteria in my filter or ruining my cycled water. Thanks for the help.
Ben

gobylover

If you leave your tank fish free for 30 days at least,the ick will die from starvation.Raising the temp will interupt the cycle of ick but isn't a sure way to kill it.If possible,I would wait 30 days fish free.If you want to start a q tank,get a couple damsels to cycle it.Your fish are in the hospital now,right?I'm sure you could probably cure your lr but you would loose anything living on it.

paul monroy

I am sorry to butt in, but I was also wondering if you keep your tank Fish free for 30 days the ick will go away,does that include to take shrimp,crabs,and snails also? Or could you keep them in still and get rid of the ick? Sorry once again!