Live rock newbie questions:

I have a well established tank, that I am considering adding live rock to. How does this work? Assuming I buy from SWF (has anyone had any experience with it???), what do I do with it when it arrives. Do I need to acclimate it? Do I need to worry about unwanted life forms (ie mantis)? Any other advise would be appreciated. Also, I am going to be upgrading tanks shortly. Should I wait to get the new tank set up, or can I just move it with the other livestock?:confused: :confused: :confused:

foxthorn

If you are getting a new tank "shortly" as you said... just wait and use the new rock to help cycle your new tank.
If I was trying to add new LR to an established tank I would first cure it in a large rubbermaid for 5-6 weeks. This is especially the case for LR being shipped - as there will be die off. And you don't want the die off to spike your well established tank.

The rock is supposedly fully cured, but I hear what you are saying about die off. Do I need a heater to keep the rock alive???

jmesmcm

While it may be more expensive to get live rock locally, I personally prefer to be able to hand pick the pieces from the LFS which sells it fully cured and just place it into the tank. I have had no problems with this as the LFS is only 15 minutes away and they will either cover the live rock in wet newspaper or give it to you in a bucket with water to prevent de off.
Having said that I would still add the rock a bit at a time and not all at once.

dragracer

Ok, i hear your supposed to cure LR in a seperate container.....which is no prob, but no one seems to clarify if you have to use salt or fresh water. I assume SW, cause FW would kill off the LR completely wouldn't it?

eric4usa

I got some Lalo live rock that came with a large urchin, a 3 inch anenome that had a base that looked like leopard spotts a 2 foot big black worm and clams embedded into the live rock.
One of the clams was like 2 inches.
ALL died while cycling in the rubbermaid.:(

Not meaning to be sacreligious, but what then is the difference between live rock, and the dead rock that has been sitting in my sw tank for 2 years? I know it doesn't have the little critters, and it doesn't have coralline algae, but doesn't it provide the same biological filtration?

toddpolish

I'm not sure why you would say that the heater is optional and the skimmmer is necessary. I would respectfully disagree. I'd go with what nolofinwe says.
I'm curing LR now and I live in New England...this time of year you never know what the temp is gonna be. It was 75 on Saturday and now 40 today. If my house gets to 60-65 degrees, I would think it would be a mistake to NOT have a heater in the container I'm curing the rock in. I do not have a protein skimmer for curing. I'm sure it would help, but I don't think it's necessary.
just my 2 cents
there are always varying opinions. just hear out everyone says then decide what you think is best.

dreeves

Because the outside air cools down...thus cooling the inside down...
Sponges die due to air bubbles clogging their internal workings...if the internal workings isn't clogged with air...the sponge should survive...
To cure your rock...first place it in a bucket...a few pieces at a time...of salinity about 1.035-1.040...leave the pieces in there for a few minutes each...this will cause most hitchhikers to evacuate the rock into the water...you will be able to select which you want to keep after each batch of rocks...put the live rock in a container with circulation, and heat. The heat may or may not assist in the bio growth...but it will immensly aid the decay rate and thus speed up the curing process...scrap the skimmer...keep the water changed about every 2-3 days...scrub the rock with a nylon bristol brush before you do the water change...when the ammonia levels are 0 in the water for a couple of days..the rock should be cured...
In any case Michael...you could get your rock about 2-3 weeks before your new tank get it mostly cured..and then finish it in your tank...should help some and speed up the process a little.