Live rock or not?

new jack

I plan on setting up a tank that is borderline overcrowded. I've been told that live rock decreases nitrates but increases organic waste. Which will do the most damage in a fish and some invertebrates tank. Should I add live rock or not? What advantages does it have and what downfalls? Also if I add the live rock to my tank when i begin the cycling will it die. What about live sand?

jim27

(Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong!)
I don't think cured lr does anything bad to the tank. Some people use lr and ls as there only filtration. I would add lr and ls while your cycling the tank because the organic matter on it will turn into ammonia which will speed up the cycle. All the dead stuff will go away. And no the lr won't die.

kris

Live rock is a great addition to any tank. with a fully stocked tank though you may want to add a little at a time-because even cured (and Definately go cured) rock will have some die-off.
This die-off may create a small "mini-cycle" so monitor your levels for a few days. Just as though you added a fish. That is the only thing that could be considered a downfall.
The benefits however are many, as it will contribute generously to your water quality, as will live sand. Just remember to add slowly as your tank is established and well stocked.
I would go for it.
Good Luck

topfish2

I agree with the other posts. CURED liove rock is great. But not cured isn't. It will giher your nitrites and at some point ammonia, and will kill your fish. But back to the cured. I cycled with my new 240 gallon w/ cured live rock and it worked like a charm. Plus many live rock look great w/ plants, and I'm trying to grow corraline algae.