Live Rock Question

rapt0r32

Ok I know you are suppose to have 1lbs of rock per gallon of water. Now my 125 is getting ready to get some rock. Can I divide up the rock into the sump and have that count towards my total poundage? ( thinking more swimming room and so forth) Since water is taken out of the tank and through the sump it would pass through the LR kinda like it would if it were actually in the tank. Is it ok to do this? Or is my thinking all wrong on this???
Rapt0r

hunterdaddy

Sounds like a good idea to me. Logically sounds like it should work but I am not 100% sure.
I have always heard you should have 1.5 lbs per gallon though.

peasly1

that should be fine,I was going to do that to so my batfish could have more room it was also a 125, but instead got rid of it for a couple of smaller fish and kept all the rock (125-150lbs)in the tank

rockster

There is no hard and fast rule about live rock-to-gallon ratio it is a matter of preference, bioload, and skimmers (among others). You can put all of it in your sump if you wish more room for fishes in the display tank, it just doesn't look natural. If you have corals, you can put all of it in the display tank. It's really...your tank, your choice. The amount of your live rock is sufficient regardless of where you put 'em. ;)

rapt0r32

Thanks guys. I was just wondering one way compared to another. I was thinking about 80 lbs in the tank and the rest in sump. I just would like more room for the fish is all.
Thanks for all the responses
Rapt0r

If you order LR online, invariably some of your poundage will be small (golfball) size rubble. That is the part I put in the refugium. I put the larger pieces in the tank to make caves for the hiders and shelves for the sitters. You will see what you need once you start arranging the furniture in the tank.
If all you want is LR for the sump, one fellow had a great way of getting it. My husband found it in a search he did last weekend. This guy went to the LFS and told them he needed some boxes about the size LR comes in. They gladly gave him the boxes and the LR rubble contained therein. Great way to stock the refugium or sump with free LR. Worth a try.

I put the LR rubble in the refugium. Even if it was in the sump...the cloth bag catches all the detritus from the overflow the way my system is set up. However with all the equipment in there it's not big enough for even rubble. Have all equipment except 2 powerheads in the sump.