Live rock question

pmob7714

Hello. I am starting a 55gal reef tank and have a question about some live rock I've just added. I was just wondering if I needed to add anything else but calcium and lots of light to keep it alive. I have 216 watts of 10,000k white light and 216 watts of 6,500k actnic blue. I also have a calcium level of 400ppm and it's slowly increasing. My water flow is good I think it turns the tank over 26 times every hour. However, i'm not sure if the bacteria from my live sand bed and rock will die if I don't put fish in there any time soon. Anyone know anything about this?

forcrz6

Hi and welcome. Well I dont think you should be adding cal to a tank w/ nothing in it. How long has the tank been up? How thick is your sand bed? Howmany pounds of Live rock did you add?

pmob7714

My sand bed is 3" deep. I have 17lbs of base rock and 18lbs of live rock. I am going to add 20 more lbs of live rock over the next week or so. I was also thing about adding a yellow tang. I think the water is good enough. No ammonia, nitrites, or nitrites, and its been up for a couple weeks now.

forcrz6

What you need to do is go for a life cycle. Add a dead shrimp in there see if all the leves spike and stay spiked. If not the Cycle is done at that point you should be able to add a fish or two but not that much. Personally I would get something cheeper like a Damsel though due to if it dies its not that much money lost.

alyssia

Tangs also require a more mature tank, I think most people on here recommend that a tank is six months old before adding a tang.