Live Rock Question

drtito

After reading lots of threads and archives, I know I have to cure my LR when it gets here.
I think I understand it but can someone show me a PIC of LR,before its cleaned and after so I know how much and what to clean off.
P.S. I got my Email telling me my SWF's LR order was on the way and was STUNED to see this with the email .....
Live Rock does not need to be acclimated like fish or invertebrates. You can add it directly to your tank. You can rinse off the rock if you would like, but be sure to only rinse it with saltwater, not freshwater

This is NOT right and I should NOT do as it says. I cant be right can it????

th3third

I dont have a picture but I can point you in the right direction. When your rock gets there put on some old clothes (you might get a bit wet) and go to a place that can be easily cleaned....like the garage. Get a few buckets filled with RO water and have a scrub brush (a new one not one thats been used) and a screwdriver ready. Dip your rock in the water and scrub it with the brush. If you feel anything soft then it has to go. Use your screwdriver to feel and scrape for soft tissue. Youll know when you feel it. It is soft as opposed to the hard rock. Every once in a while dunk it to rinse off the crap your scraping off. Use the screwdriver to get into any crevice and feel if there is anything soft and scrape it out. When you feel your done move that rock to the side and get to the next one.
I tell you its hard work. I had 120 lbs to do and by mid day I was beat. Good luck.

michaeltx

I beleive that part of the email was for a new tank without any inverts or other stock in the tank. at that point it can just be added to the tank to start the cycle process.
I will link admin to this post so they can take a look at the email letter,.
Mike

brightone

Let me get this straight. If I am cycling my tank with live rock do I still need to scrub the live rock and do I rinse it with DI water before I put it in my tank? Will the live rock change at all during the cycling process?

scopus tang

Originally Posted by Th3ThirD
http:///forum/post/2661513
I dont have a picture but I can point you in the right direction. When your rock gets there put on some old clothes (you might get a bit wet) and go to a place that can be easily cleaned....like the garage. Get a few buckets filled with RO water and have a scrub brush (a new one not one thats been used) and a screwdriver ready. Dip your rock in the water and scrub it with the brush. If you feel anything soft then it has to go. Use your screwdriver to feel and scrape for soft tissue. Youll know when you feel it. It is soft as opposed to the hard rock. Every once in a while dunk it to rinse off the crap your scraping off. Use the screwdriver to get into any crevice and feel if there is anything soft and scrape it out. When you feel your done move that rock to the side and get to the next one.
I tell you its hard work. I had 120 lbs to do and by mid day I was beat. Good luck.
Th3ThirD, not to be rude, but I have to disagree with you. DrTITO, dip your LR in saltwater not RO water. scrub lightly with a brush, anything that visually looks like it is deteriorating should be taken off. If you remove everything soft with a screwdriver, you could be losing some nice hitchhikers, like sponges, macroalgaes, etc. Dipping in freshwater can also have a similar effect. Rock should then be placed in a tub with powerheads, lights, and a heater to cure before adding it to your DT. If you are cycling the DT with the rock, scrub lightly with a brush as described above and place straight into your DT. The stuff you miss in the cracks and crevices will die off and help send your tank through the nitrogen cycle.

Originally Posted by Scopus Tang
http:///forum/post/2661826
Th3ThirD, not to be rude, but I have to disagree with you. DrTITO, dip your LR in saltwater not RO water. scrub lightly with a brush, anything that visually looks like it is deteriorating should be taken off. If you remove everything soft with a screwdriver, you could be losing some nice hitchhikers, like sponges, macroalgaes, etc. Dipping in freshwater can also have a similar effect. Rock should then be placed in a tub with powerheads, lights, and a heater to cure before adding it to your DT. If you are cycling the DT with the rock, scrub lightly with a brush as described above and place straight into your DT. The stuff you miss in the cracks and crevices will die off and help send your tank through the nitrogen cycle.

+1 your live rock should never be soaked or cleaned with anything but saltwater. using RO/DI water would just kill of some of the good stuff you want to keep on the rock like micro.
If the LR is the only thing you have in the tank ( and sand ) dont worry about scrubbing the heck out of the rock, just remover anything black or anything that seems to be dead or dying.
Drop in the rock and let it ride for about a month.
Then add a CUC to clean up after the cycle
Good luck

sepulatian

Originally Posted by brightOne
http:///forum/post/2661733
Let me get this straight. If I am cycling my tank with live rock do I still need to scrub the live rock and do I rinse it with DI water before I put it in my tank? Will the live rock change at all during the cycling process?
If there is nothing in the tank yet then just scrub the rocks off lightly in a tub of salt water, as Scopus Tang said. You can then add them to your display. Be sure to have a test kit. Keep the ammonia below 1ppm to preserve the life on your rock.
Just as a little FYI, live rock does not need to be acclimated. You do not even have to scrub it off. Doing so reduces the amount of die off on the rock. With less die off the ammonia will not spike a high.

drtito

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2661630
I beleive that part of the email was for a new tank without any inverts or other stock in the tank. at that point it can just be added to the tank to start the cycle process.
I will link admin to this post so they can take a look at the email letter,.
Mike
Thanks for clearing that up I knew I had to cure that live rock, but was filped out by that email.
As for my tank it has bin up now for awhile years maybe 4,,,,so I will have to cure it first.

stanlalee

Basic rule of thumb: If its soft remove it. I just go over it with a flathead

[hr]
driver and pry off anything soft. then dunk it in a bucket of fresh saltwater. pry and dunk. you still have to cure if its shipped, especially 2 day shipping. I did overnight shipping and it still took a while to cure.

florida joe

cycling a tank with live rock
Rinse each piece of live rock in a small bucket of saltwater to remove any loose organic matter, debris, or sand.
Place live rock into the aquarium to create a stable foundation for corals or decorations.
Keep the lighting system off during the cycling period in order to reduce the likelihood of undesirable algae growth.
Gently scrub the rocks periodically with a new nylon bristle brush or toothbrush to remove loose white film or dead material.
Perform 50% water changes weekly while siphoning out any organic matter and loose debris that accumulates at the bottom of the aquarium.
Measure and monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels in the aquarium weekly.
When both ammonia and nitrite levels are zero, perform a 50% water change on the aquarium.
After 24 hours, check the pH of the water and adjust as needed to achieve the desired level of 8.1-8.4.
Cueing live rock before putting it in an established tank
Place the live rock in a new 30-gallon plastic garbage can. Consider adding bottom drains to the container to speed draining and water changes.
Completely cover the rock with freshly mixed saltwater, with a specific gravity of 1.021 - 1.025.
Use a heater and keep the water temperature near 80 degrees to speed die off.
Provide constant water movement with a power head or air stone.
Keep the area dimly lit to prevent algae blooms.
Perform 100% water changes twice weekly.
Gently scrub the rock with a new nylon bristle brush or toothbrush between water changes to remove any white film or dead material.
When the water conditions stabilize and ammonia and nitrite tests are zero, the rock is ready to be placed into the display aquarium.

drtito

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2662234
cycling a tank with live rock
Rinse each piece of live rock in a small bucket of saltwater to remove any loose organic matter, debris, or sand.
Place live rock into the aquarium to create a stable foundation for corals or decorations.
Keep the lighting system off during the cycling period in order to reduce the likelihood of undesirable algae growth.
Gently scrub the rocks periodically with a new nylon bristle brush or toothbrush to remove loose white film or dead material.
Perform 50% water changes weekly while siphoning out any organic matter and loose debris that accumulates at the bottom of the aquarium.
Measure and monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels in the aquarium weekly.
When both ammonia and nitrite levels are zero, perform a 50% water change on the aquarium.
After 24 hours, check the pH of the water and adjust as needed to achieve the desired level of 8.1-8.4.
Cueing live rock before putting it in an established tank
Place the live rock in a new 30-gallon plastic garbage can. Consider adding bottom drains to the container to speed draining and water changes.
Completely cover the rock with freshly mixed saltwater, with a specific gravity of 1.021 - 1.025.
Use a heater and keep the water temperature near 80 degrees to speed die off.
Provide constant water movement with a power head or air stone.
Keep the area dimly lit to prevent algae blooms.
Perform 100% water changes twice weekly.
Gently scrub the rock with a new nylon bristle brush or toothbrush between water changes to remove any white film or dead material.
When the water conditions stabilize and ammonia and nitrite tests are zero, the rock is ready to be placed into the display aquarium.
I will use this info when the LR gets here, got the extra PH , and salt just got in this very second. 5 gallon bucket.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by DrTITO
http:///forum/post/2662317
I will use this info when the LR gets here, got the extra PH , and salt just got in this very second. 5 gallon bucket.
How much rock are you adding? A five gallon bucket is not very large.

drtito

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2662389
How much rock are you adding? A five gallon bucket is not very large.
I am adding 48lbs of live rock after it cures, and I got a 5 gal bucket of REEF SALT = 300 gallons of salt water, so I should be safe for water changes and rock curing, also I have a trash can for all this work I eill be doing.

1journeyman

Ditch the screwdriver idea and use a new toothbrush.
Be sure to keep the tank well circulated, space the rock out as much as possible with as little contact as possible, and keep a watch on your Ammonia.
As pointed out, soak in SW while you are cleaning, not RO/DI.
EDIT: And wear gloves. Not all hitchhikers are flesh-friendly

drtito

I will get some gloves right now. Its so nice having a hardware store as my supply room almost everything I need at my finger tips.
GOD I LOVE THIS HOBBY!

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2662446
I am adding 48lbs of live rock after it cures, and I got a 5 gal bucket of REEF SALT = 300 gallons of salt water, so I should be safe for water changes and rock curing, also I have a trash can for all this work I eill be doing.
Got it. What sized tub are you curing in? As Journey pointed out, be sure to spread the rock out and have plenty of flow. Watch the ammonia.

drtito

I have a 35 gallon trashcan,1 power head for it and I am getting one more of each (trashcan+power head)as I go home tonight.
should I take a big plastic tub home for this??

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2662798
I have a 35 gallon trashcan,1 power head for it and I am getting one more of each (trashcan+power head)as I go home tonight.
should I take a big plastic tub home for this??
I use a rubber maid bin. The rock will cure in either but you can get more flow around the pieces if they are spread out rather than piled up. Two power heads work well in a bin. You can get cross flow.

drtito

I will see when it gets here, I hoped I could do it in the can, darn that sounds bad dont it. wish me luck.

God I love this hobby