Live Rock question

tclark828

I am starting to get my tank set up and have a question. Its a 90 gallon tank and i plan on getting 120lbs of LR. How much should i fill the tank before i get the rock? I imagine 120 lbs of rock will take up a lot of space, so about how much water should i leave out?

braydonosu

I've always found that it's best to just put in enough water to go about 2 - 3 inches above the sand. Then you can place your rock in the tank how you want it without creating a huge sandstorm. Then when you get all of the rock in use a dinner plate on top of the sand and pour the water onto that - this will also limit the sandstorm. Just my 2 cents, but it worked.

tclark828

Im confused about this whole process apparently. I thought i had to have the tank full of water and up and running before i added any rock or sand.

florida joe

put the rock in first on the bare bottom then the sand and put some large plastic bags over the sand and slowly add the water

grumpygils

Is the rock cured? If not, you can put in with little or no water. The rock will start your cycle. This assumes you are pouring in salt water. If you are pouring in ro water, I fill about 3/4ths and mix to proper salinity and then add the rock. That will work for cured or uncured rock.
Mc

tclark828

I'm planning on getting cured rock. I also purchased an RO unit, and i was planning on getting the tank running and ordering rock next week. So basically with cured rock, I need to have enough water to cover the highest rock in there?
Thanks again,
TC

mboswell1982

Originally Posted by Tclark828
http:///forum/post/2863793
I'm planning on getting cured rock. I also purchased an RO unit, and i was planning on getting the tank running and ordering rock next week. So basically with cured rock, I need to have enough water to cover the highest rock in there?
Thanks again,
TC
yes

sepulatian

You can add the rock and sand later. Fill the tank 3/4 full. Have extra mixed salt water on hand. If you need to add more after the rock is in then you will be ready. When you add the sand, you can use a piece of plastic pipe to direct the sand where you want it.

dustyboy316

Yah I'd fill it probably 3/4 of the way uif not a little less.
A 90 gallon tank is going to have a lot of rock, so you don't want anyof it sitting out.
Wow I wish I had 120 lbs of LR. I just got over 10 for my 10 gallon and aquascaping isnt as fun as it should be. I only got 4 pieces :p haha so I might make a trip out of town to get some high quality LR and some inverts.