Live rock question

tatchia

First, let me say that I am brand new to the hobby so with me. I have learned a lot from you guys.
I have a 29g sw tank that is in its second week of cycling.
I bought 10 lbs of lr today from the lfs and now there are tiny tiny clear "bugs" or baby shrimp or something floating in my water!!! Is this okay? Is it maybe shrimp babies? Do I need to get rid of them? If so how?
Thanks in advance for any advice!!
Rachel aka Tatchia

brianrish

Sounds like pods. They are a good thing. It means your tank is "happy." Some fish love to eat them. You will see their numbers grow and shrink on a regular basis. Sometimes you will have lots, other times not so many. Chances are, though, you will always some.

wamp

Nope, you don't need to get rid of them. They are OK for the tank. They are probably copepods. They will become food for the fish.

infalable

Welcome to the board. They are probably pods (copepods, etc). They are benificial, you want to keep them. Do a search on them and you can get some good info. Good luck.

T

thomas712

Amphipods
Copepods
Isopods
All good for a tank.
For better explinations of what they look like and what they do, I suggest a web search using google. This should give you more than enough to research and become familiar with them.
And Welcome to the board :)
Thomas

stanton

I'm glad to hear they come and go .I was getting worried I killed them all.Do hermits and sallylightfoot crabs eat them?