Live Rock questions

glinton

Just a week ago I purchased some LR. It is in my tank now and my wife and I everyday find new stuff popping out of it....pretty cool.
Do I need to feed these critters anything until I get some fish, inverts, etc.? Will they feed on the algae on the rock? I am waiting for the tank to cycle until I get anything to put in it.
Thanks!

jonthefb

no need to worry, the majority of them are detritus/algae feeders, and trust me you have plenty!
good luck
jon

brooklyn johnny

I agree with Jon... after all they made it half way around the world out of water. I recommend doing water changes to keep the nutrient level to a minimum. People differ on this issue, but while it may extend the cycle, the creatures THAT ARE LEFT on your live rock will enjoy the benefits that water changes and a protein skimmer will give you. Some people say just let it go, which you could, but you will have more die off on your rock. Just my opinion...

glinton

Follow up question-
I have what looks like small feather dusters on my rock. Is that what they are? They are really small. You have to really focus to see them.