Live rock Rubble instead of Bio Balls

7duster3

Hey guys, i have a 60 gallon FOWLR tank and a 20 gallon sump with 2 sections. Half of the sump is bio balls and the other half is baffled for carbon and my return pumps plus skimmer. I recently bought 15 lbs of live rock rubble and bio rock mud in hopes of switching out my bio balls. Will this still give me adequate filtration tossing the bio balls? can i double as filtration/fuge in the same spot? The water from my return line goes into that micro material felt looking stuff then drips onto the bio balls so i don't know how i could add a light to it without the light being blocked. any help at all would be appreciated.

kspops

I am by far no expert, but the sump of my 135g tank is run directly into a portion that has LRR with no pre filter. I then have some mangroves to help with the filtering and may add a DSB to the bottom of this. I have a xeon light to keep things bright and may add some CUC members soon. Pretty simple set-up and so far so good. I have had a small cycle to get things going and the display has some nice rock work. I will try to add pics later.
I even went so far as to add the smaller pieces to the HOB bio wheel filter on my QT. and that has a small load on it. Soon to go into the 135...

florida joe

The only advantage you will get as far as filtration by switching out the bio balls is in denitrification. If you do switch out the bio balls do it in stages. Allowing other areas of your tanks nitrifing bactera to colonize or existing areas to expand and take up the slack in filtration caused by the removal

7duster3

Thanks for the replies, so in the greater minds opinions is it even worth it to switch out? Ive had bio balls for more then a year working fine with this tank but just wanted a more natural approach. I don't think i can do a sand bed as the baffles are open at the bottom ( bought a pre made sump) I should be getting the rubble today, should i qt the rock first? I will have to look into getting some sort of clip on light. Does it matter how powerful it is?

al mc

Any wet surface item (like LRR) should be quarantined, IMHO, as while only a slight possibility, it could bring in Ich or other parasitic diseases for your fish that will die out if you QT for a minimum of 3 weeks (better..6 weeks). Generally, no light is needed in curing/Qting LR. Just a heater and a powerhead to circulate water.

florida joe

My personal preference especially with rubble rocks it to bleach it. Then rinse well and dechlorinate and let nature take its course.
While leaving your rock in a fallow environment for six weeks will kill ick there are other nasty things, which can be, transferred via the rock hence the bleaching

7duster3

Ok thanks, so qt the LRR it is. After qt'ing the lrr, without a light in my sump will it be a suitable place for pods? This is part of the reason i am switching over. I have many pods in my tank now but just introduced a Mandarin and my pods will be gone shortly i assume. I really wanted a separate fuge but i ran out of room under my tank and HOB is out of the question.
I just ordered 2000 pods online to keep my fish busy till all this gets situated. thanks again.

salt210

speaking of stuff coming in on LR, I found some small clams on mine today. dont know if they are still alive tho. threw them in my sump

7duster3

Joe i appreciate all of your answers, forgive me for a stupid question: If i bleach the LRR and do not qt the rock wont it not have any beneficial bacteria on it to further filter my tank? It will all die off and i will need to start the process over correct?

salt210

it will have to recolonize but the bleach would clean the rock, at least thats what I am getting from his statement

locoyo386

Originally Posted by 7duster3
http:///forum/post/3074504
Joe i appreciate all of your answers, forgive me for a stupid question: If i bleach the LRR and do not qt the rock wont it not have any beneficial bacteria on it to further filter my tank? It will all die off and i will need to start the process over correct?
Hi there,
You will not change all of them at the same time, but yeah the rubble would have to colonize bacteria before all the bioballs are removed. If you are relying on the bioballs for nitrification.

florida joe

Allow me to elaborate
Your tank is up and running so you have nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria established. You are going to add rubble rock to replace the bio balls. The bio balls are a major contributor to your bio filtration hence my post
If you do switch out the bio balls do it in stages. Allowing other areas of your tanks nitrifing bactera to colonize or existing areas to expand and take up the slack in filtration caused by the removal
You are going to bleach the rubble to sterilize it before adding it to your tank. As your bacteria colonize the rock you will remove more and more bio balls until you have them all out. The idea is to introduce only rock and not any unwanted bad guys
Come on boys and girls, someone ask the obvious question.
OK I will what makes the OP think he has nitrifying and or denitrifying bacteria on the rubble rock to begin with ?