live rock setup

arch scot

I've got about 50 lbs of live rock and its been curing for about a month what is the best structure setup that i should us? One big mountain or should i stalk it in separate mountains on should i line the tank from left to right with two different layers?

fbm

I would just put it in and look at it. Rearrange it and look at it again. Put it in how you think it looks good and go from there. It took me about a month before I finally stopped moving things around.

shogun323

I agree with FBM. It took me a while to get mine how I wanted it. A couple of things to consider are.....
Stability - this is this most important. you dont want a landslide causing your rockwork to fall and crack your tank. If needed you can fasten rocks together with zip ties or 2 part epoxy.
Caves - In my opinion, it is important to create caves and holes as many species of fish live their lives darting in and out of your rockwork.
Places for Corals - If you are creating a reef system you will want to arrange your rockwork in a way that you will have plenty of places to place your corals like ledges and shelves.
These are just my thoughts. You can get some in depth insight on aquascaping from "The Conscientous Marin Aquariast" by Robert Fenner"
Good Luck!!

f14peter

It is a bit of personal preference guided by what your intentions for the tank are.
If you're going to have some burrowing bottom-dwellers, they'll need some space . . . if you're going to get some larger fish, they'll need swimming room . . . smaller fish like caves and crevices . . . corals will need a place to sit . . . and so forth.
Like FBM, it took me a while to get the final arrangement. Putting rock in is like dealing with a 3-dimensional jigsaw puzzle so don't expect to just spend a few minutes to put it in and be happy. Took me several hours and several stints of pulling some (or nearly all) pieces back out and working with different configurations.
Since we're going to have some few swimmers, we went with a two-mound arrangement with a gap between them. We incorporated a cave in case somebody really wants some alone-time or feels threatened, and we have a fair amount of open sand area for the eventual blennie or goby.