Live Rock size

aviator

What the general opinion about the size of live rock in a nano?
I have a 29 gallon aquapod with three large pieces of live rock in it. Would I be better to put several smaller pieces equaliing the same weight? I'm not terribly happy with the asthetics of the three giant pieces, I'd much rather stack up a bunch of fiji or totuka and have a nice aquascape.
Are the benefits I am not realizing to having large pieces over smaller ones?

nano-newb1983

size of rock dont matter really... If you dont like the big pieces take a hammer to them and make smaller stackable ones

xlr8

Originally Posted by NaNo-NeWb1983
http:///forum/post/3118916
size of rock dont matter really... If you dont like the big pieces take a hammer to them and make smaller stackable ones
And be sure to wear SAFTEY GLASSES!!!!

bettachris4

i agree, both is fine but it really comes down to the look that you want to get.
My biocube 29 has about 40-50 pounds of live rock, mostly smaller 1 pound pieces which is how i buy my rock. Then i might add 1-2 larger rocks in the 5 pound range to build around it.

navaljonf

I recommend 1 large to base the layout of the tank and several small to accent. The only problem with small LR is it is easily moved and may fall from time to time.

aviator

It's definatley an aquapod... sorry, it's a 24 gallon. I'm going to take the hammer after the rocks... as soon as I get get the tank to clear up - right now I have a green algea problem I think. Tried doing several water changes just to have it come back, so it's chemical time, which sucks.
Water paramters are just about perfect, so this is a head scratcher. I'll get it to clear up and let the tank re-settle before I go smashing the live rock up.