Live Rock Smell

putster

I have been cycling my LR for a couple days now and the smell is getting worse and worse. Is this normal? The tank is in my bedroom and the smell has gotten so bad, I have had to move into the guest bedroom.

dreeves

The smell is the die off associated with disturbing the rock and exposing it to air. How are you curing it? Change some of the water in the curing container.

T

thomas712

Here is where I would be using a very good protien skimmer, also even scrub some of the rocks in saltwater before placing back into the tank. I agree with the water change, if it is that bad do 30% this week and again next week if it is still bad.
Thomas

brianrish

I would agree, unless the purpose of curing the rock in the tank was to let the tank cycle.
Won't doing a water change prolong the cycle?
If it has been going for a few days, I think the smell should be on the way down.
I cured my rock in the tank as a way of making the new tank cycle. And think it was a great way to make a very strong cycle and get things started on th eright foot.
I did it during the summer, though, so I just opened the windows. If I remember correctly things did get worse before they got better. But I think the smell lasted less than a week.
Clean smelling air should be just around the corner!

dreeves

Even if it is in a tank...the die off will be such a magnitude in which a 30% change of water wouldn't effect the cycle part...
When I cure live rock, I do it in buckets with circulation, heat and air...I change the water about 50% every 3-4 days, and scrub the rocks before the change with a nylon brush...I keep the heater set to about 82 degrees to aid in the process...
Personally, I never have, nor ever plan on curing live rock in a new tank...