Live Rock Stacking

extinct 1ne

I can't beleive I am still a noob at this but are there any ways I can help better the support of my Live Rock? I've heard of things like the "Egg Crate / PVC Stand" but I have no idea how to do it? Everytime I do my rock, I think to myself, "this seems like it can fall," or "where can I place my corals the way I stacked this?" The main thing I am having a problem with is my space to place corals...

nanomantis

I am assuming your rock is comprised mostly of boulders. If this is the case, you might want to look into getting some pieces which are more branching.

extinct 1ne

florida joe
NanoMantis

Here is a pic of the tank (Sorry for the quality). I rearranged it, after posting this thread. I think I've got some good places to put corals now, and there is a huge cave in the bottom of the rockwork.

gmann1139

There are some who are so in love with their aquascaping that they actually glue the rocks together.
As someone whose had to tear every rock out several times to catch wayward fish, I wouldn't recommend it.
I've also heard of people drilling holes in the rock and inserting rods to mount the rocks together. Never seen it first-hand though.
The eggcrate goes on the bottom of the tank, under the sand, and distributes the weight across the tank, and prevents the rocks from shifting.

nordy

Agree on not gluing the rock together: I still, after a couple of years of operating my 55 as a reef setup, do move some rocks around and do a little re-aquascaping here and there. One comment on your rock arrangement: I suggest making sure that you have enough room between the rock structure and the walls of your tank to get your hand and a scraper into to keep it clean.