Live rock that is now dead

anadliv

I use to have a 20 gallon tank with assorted corals and an aneome. I had to leave for about a month and of course everything eas dead when I returned. The cause of death was to much salinty due to evaporation. I lost probably 5 inches of water becuase no one was there to care for it. How should I clean the live rock and should I let it soak in water if so how long. Coudl the dead anomeoe have some how poisned the rock? I want to put the rock in my 29 gallon reef tank. ALso shoudl I add like one pice per week?
thanks

spanko

Scrub and then re-cure it.
Scrub the bejeesus out of it with a stiff say tooth brush or something similar.
Get a Tupperware tub big enough to hold all the rock with water over the top of it.
Put in a powerhead for circulation.
Put in a heater for temperature control.
You can use a HOB filter and or skimmer but it is not necessary.
Monitor the tub like you would a tank going through cycling. Water changes once per week or so.
No light, in fact cover it if you can.
When ammonia and nitrite spike then go to zero the rock is cured and can then be cleaned with a swish around in some clean saltwater then added to the tank.
What I would do anyway, let's see what others say.

florida joe

Originally Posted by anadliv
http:///forum/post/2877142
I use to have a 20 gallon tank with assorted corals and an aneome. I had to leave for about a month and of course everything eas dead when I returned. The cause of death was to much salinty due to evaporation. I lost probably 5 inches of water becuase no one was there to care for it. How should I clean the live rock and should I let it soak in water if so how long. Coudl the dead anomeoe have some how poisned the rock? I want to put the rock in my 29 gallon reef tank. ALso shoudl I add like one pice per week?
thanks
what makes you think the bactera and critters in and on the rock are dead