live rock

fishlvr13

I know this question is kinda stupid but i have a fish inly tank it's my first one that i've ever had and i've had it for a few months, but i was wondering, what exactly is live rock? Do you have to care for it differently than a fish only tank? :confused: :p

You need to have good lighting to take the full advantage of live rock. No you dont need to take care of it differently. Some fish out there will take care of the live rock for you. Lawnmower blennies and some tangs, and other fish will feed off the rock.

y2says

l/r is from the bottom of the oceans that have many forms of creatures and bacteria on them. The bacteria will act as a filter system for your tank and help keep your water conditions stable. I recommend it, especailly if you are going to turn it into a reef tank.

twoods71

Live rock will also add a more natural look to the tank, something many people strive for.
Your fish will appreciate the addition of LR also as it will give them a place to call home and make them feel more secure.

thor

"and other fish will feed off the rock"
Im thinking about getting a flame angel for 50g tank ive heard they feed off LR would that mean i wouldnt have to take care of the rock or my fish will "kill" it :confused:
[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: Thor ]

Not to mention all the cool little fanworms and other things that come along with good liverock. I spend more time watching the rock than I do the fish! :eek: