Live rock

putt_77

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the life in live rock. I have a curious white "thing" in my tank that resembles, for lack of descriptive skills, a skeleton's hand. It has several long, bony prongs, though it is not hard.

fshhub

<a href="http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/pages/picture_pages/faq_foramwhite.html" target="_blank">is this pic it??</a>
check out the above link,andsee if that is it, reply back

putt_77

It is hard to tell without being able to see it to scale. It looks similar, but what is in my tank, as compared to the picture, is much larger, but like I said it is hard to tell size from the picture.
When I say large any one of the "branches" is roughly 3"-4" in length and probably as thick as a pencil in its thickest spots. The thing in the picture seemed to have tiny hairs on it. Mine is smooth looking to the

[hr]
eye. The branches move in the current, so it is not hard. I have a lot of life in my rock, of which everything is identifiable, but this one I have never seen before.

fshhub

it is not an anemone, like aiptaisia is it??
are all the fingers the same length? and do they all stem from a central location(like a cup or bowl)?
what color, is it white, or off white, like a cream or tan color?

putt_77

Thanks for your interest.
They all project from one central location. I would have to say it is white. Though it has a certain opaqueness to it if that is even a word. There is like one mass blob of the white stuff attched to the rock with four or five twisted and curled branches projecting outward. The more I look at the picture you posted the more I would have to say that's definitely not it. Then there is a smaller blob on the other side of the same rock with two branches.

fshhub

my interest is that i love aquariums and puzzles, you cna learn alot this way
being as they are alll different lengths, they do not sound like anemones, thank god it isn't aptaisia, i don't know alot, but could they be some type of gorgonian??
i'll do a search and see, but maybe, if youare not familiar wiht them, you could look into them and see for yourself too, if i find something clse i'll post back, and if you do find it yourself, could you keep us posted?? i haven't heard of anyooone else getting a gorgonian,b ut anything from the ocean is possible wiht lr
and i don't think that it is the pic i posted either, these guys are rather tiny, not even big enough to be small
edited: i don't think it is a gorgonian either