live rock

njjamie

I know exactly what you are feeling. For the longest time I was thinking of how to set up my live rock. The thing to remember when setting up your live rock is that you need water to flow behind the rock and you dont want the rocks to be touching the front or side glass. This way when you are cleaning your glass, you can get every square inch of glass.
The way I set up mine, I left like a six inch gap in the back of the rock from the glass and pointed a powerhead back there so a bunch of algae does not grow. Consider it like a triangle from the bottom of the tank, the back of the glass, and the back of the love rock. I hope this makes sense. Anyway, I absolutely love the way my rock work came out. I would suggest not using any ties or glue to hold your rock together. Just wait for the perfect rocks that would fit the exact place you need. Dont get any gobies which create burrows under rock as it will shift your rocks around and ruin your rockwork. But make sure they are stable enough that a fish swimming by, will not make an avalanche in your tank, hahaha.
Hope this helps and sorry if the picture is not that detailed. If I remember when I get home, I will get some pics up of exactly what I am talking about. Check out the photography section as well and take a look at as many FOWLR tanks.
Jamie

teen

heres my tank when it was just rock back in april. this is kaellini live rock(not sure if thats spelt right or not??). anyway, it has some cool shapes and good platforms for placing corals.

anonome

I have Fiji premium grade rock...came with loads of corraline algae already started...has progressed nicely over the years. I bought the rock off of this site, except for a few pieces of tonga from the lfs.
This picture is a good example of fiji live rock, the rock that is below the BTA is fiji and the rock to the left and top of the BTA with a bit of halimeda algae is tonga branch. You will find that tonga is very light and odd shaped. The tonga is 3 months old.

reef diver

WEll, IMO, I wouldnt force so many arches, and precarious angles, nature doesnt make that, but, stack your rocks together, leaving space between your formations for water flow, just browse this section, and look at the aquascapes.

arch scot

thanks for the question i wonder the same thing and just put a thread up asking how to do my live rock. thank u and good luck