Live rock...

jschultz

So... I'm looking around and trying to find some good priced live rock other than here. Any people reputable that people know of? I do like here, but just looking around for other people too most of my LFS are selling it at 7-8 dollars a pound...
Any advice would be great... either pm or make a comment here... Thanks in advance!

srgvigil

What is the growth on the rock?
Is in mininumum or alot
I don't think we can post other fish stores on here because we would be soliciting SWF's bussiness

tacoma38

to be honest i havent seen any good good rock in 15 years.most dont have much left alive on it by the time we get it

t316

Originally Posted by tacoma38
to be honest i havent seen any good good rock in 15 years.most dont have much left alive on it by the time we get it
Most every piece I have bought over the past year has been "loaded" with stuff. I'm still going in there in the middle of the night with a red light looking at new things coming out.

jschultz

Originally Posted by SrgVigil
What is the growth on the rock?
Is in mininumum or alot
I don't think we can post other fish stores on here because we would be soliciting SWF's bussiness
I mean the growth is different piece by piece so obviously it's hard to say oh, my god this is great rock. The stuff that I've seen at the bigger stores in town isn't "bad" but I've seen better too that I'd be willing to pay that much for it. If I knew I would be able to get a nice shipment from somewhere I'd be willing to pay the extra for it, It's just nice to be able to hand pick the rock that you're getting.
Who know's I haven't looked around at some of the other LFS. There's a couple up in the Grand Forks area that I have heard good things about just with the cost of fuel I don't want to drive 90 miles away and get crap for growth on the rock itself. Plus I live in North Dakota so shipping plus it's colder than dirt right now, even though it's getting warmer.
Does anybody have experience with LR purchases here? Do they normally ship with a lot of growth (realising the inevitability for shipping die-off)?
Thanks again!
Jonathan.

pthoma79

I bought 40 lbs to put in my 30 gal. It came last week, but the bottom of the box was damp, and the rock was pretty much dry. Anyone else have this problem?
Also, I'm a newbie, and this is my first SW tank, so should this be a problem? Or should I just continue to cycle like normal, and it'll be ok. It looks like there was coralline on the rock at some point, but now its white or greenish white in places.

ketill

Don't remember our vendor. But when i worked at an LFS in salinas, california we could order 30kilo boxes of LR fiji i think. It was loaded with stuff When ever I ordered one I would get all kinds of feather dusters and such. think the lfs made me pay $125 a box. might check around for bulk orders like that. GL