Live rock

spkdtch

got a nice hunk of live rock today and while looking at it before putting it in the tank, i saw bristle worms which i hate, creep me out, even if they are good
so i continued to look for other stuff, found 2 green feather dusters, 3 orange ball anemones, 5-10 bristle worms, some sponges, and what looked like fry, along with some tiny clams.
so i wasnt gonna risk the worms so i drained the tank i was looking at the rock in and gonna let it sit over night then put freshwater in it tomorrow to get everything out
and once the water was drained, i thought i saw another weird worm wiggling, but when i got closer, i saw it was a tiny pistol shrimp, so i scooped him up and put him in a jar, only thing i wanted to salvage, just wish i could identify him, too tiny to take a clear picture of, but looks green and had a black circle with a yellow ring around it on its tail/abdomen
but deff a pistol shrimp, which ive been looking to get, so im happy

mr.clownfish

hmmm. sounds like something from the Caribbean.
there might be some more in the rock. look for them at night with a flash light.

T

tiny

Wow, sounds like quite the piece of rock there. I wish I got a pistol shrimp in my rock, then my goby would have a friend.

spkdtch

nothing else, just bristle worms, would love to put a pic to ID it but its very small, under an inch and still transluscent, has green and a black dot with a yellow ring around it similar to a bullseye pistol shrimp, just no purple or anything
still alive and crawling, just wish it was bigger so if i released it, i could find it

spkdtch

that was the plan, it has been drying out at least 5 days, so ima soak it in freshwater for a day or so and then just use it as base/dead rock

salt life

Originally Posted by spkdtch
http:///forum/post/3099166
that was the plan, it has been drying out at least 5 days, so ima soak it in freshwater for a day or so and then just use it as base/dead rock
why would you kill all that stuff on the rock just because bristle worms freak you out? I'm sure you have bristle worms in your tank already...?

gypsana

Bristle worms keep my tank well maintained. I have hundreds of them. I can not imagine killing so many cool things. To me that is the magic of saltwater tanks. I am not trying to flame you, I guess I just to not get it.

ryanhayes9

Honestly youd probably be better off buying all base rock then. You can get it much cheaper then live rock, seeing as leaving the live rock out to dry just makes it base rock...

spkdtch

i didnt see the bad stuff when i bought it, and i know they do good but i am not a fan of worms and parasites at all, and i sure hope i dont have any in my tank, but i might, i try and look at night with a flashlight and havent ever seen one, plus most of my rock is made of concrete that i made