live rock ?

hotch

I am about to set my 75 gal tank up again. Last time I had just fish and some decorative coral. I would like to put some live rock in this time but I am not planning on making a reef tank. I just want it for the benefits of cycling and to look more natural. Also, I don't want all the little extra friends that come with the live rock...what ever may come out of it. I don't know if I should buy cured rock, or cure it myself, or if it is considered "not live" anymore if it doesn't have all the little friends living in it. I don't know too much about it at all just that I like the way it looks. Can any one help me out? I need to find out more info on this if anyone could direct me to some reading material or something. I am wondering if I am just going to be wasting my money on it if I am not planning a reef tank. Also, do you have to add any special additives to the tank for live rock? What about all this die off that people are talking about and the smell? Thanks for any help.

I personally love the look of live rock, and I love the little critters that come on them. I have feather dusters, small clams, an abalone, sponges, among other things that came with my live rock. I was spared the dreaded mantis shrimp and aptasia, so I was lucky.
There is nothing wrong with adding live rock for a non-reef tank.
I bought mine uncured, and let the tank cycle naturally, and all the critters that I mentioned survived, with a minimum of die off.
You may also decide to buy already cured live rock, but if you get it on-line, there will still be some die off and smell because of shipping. The only way I know of to get fully cured live rock is if you have a trusted LFS that cures it for you.
I prefer to go to the LFS to get live rock, that way I get to pick and choose what I want, and not settle for what is sent by an on line source.
There is a thread that asks for everyone's favorite book on this hobby. There are many good ones mentioned.
Hope this helps.

You set it in your tank and just let the tank cycle. Let me add that this should be done in a brand new tank.
You can also get a rubbermaid tub with saltwater, good aeration, and power head for circulation, and let it sit for a couple weeks or more and add water for evaporation and a water change about half way through the process. Just don't let it get to hot. Maintain normal tank temps.
Some one else may be able to help also.

hotch

ok...if I do this live rock thing then there will be no creatures that come out that will hurt my tank? Also, if I cure it in a rubbermaid cont. and add to my old tank will it be ok....it was a FO tank before and I did run some copper in it. I will be using all the same equipment from before. Also, the reason I am hesitant is because of the corals that may be in the LR because I just don't know if I can keep them alive. Do you have to put stuff in the water especially for LR. If I cure it in a rubbermaid cont. and some thing grows on it will it make it through the switch into the tank? How do you move rock that has something on it? I guess I sound like a dummy but I am really excited about setting my tank up again, and I am still new at this hobby. Not much success with my first setup. Also, if I cure it in a rubbermaid cont. and cycle it there, do I add some of that cycled H2O to my tank when I put it in there? And that guy that is using play sand...can I do that while the rock is curing and it will seed the sand? Thanks for any help.