Live rock

cielo

I'm setting up a fun nano tank (15 gallons) SO MONEY IS NO OBJECT (hehehe NEVER thought I could say that about salt water hehehe) anyhoo, my question is..with such a small amount of live rock needed where does the absolute best quality live rock come from and as the tank is going to be empty (inhabitants wise) when I get the rock, should I go for cured or uncured?
Thanks.:D

slick

Well personally I think the best rock is rock that has the shape and characteristics you like. As far as uncured or cured my vote is for uncured.

yetex

I agree for a small tank go to a lfs and pick what you want. Dont order from online and have no idea what to expect. Although i just recently ordered 45 lbs of tonga ridge rock and was very pleased with what i received

ha.........at my lfs.......they are trying to sell "live rock" for 9 bucks a pound.......the thing is...........it has no life on it at all.......its like a creappy white color

radge69

travis - my lfs has some LR that is all white looking also. Bought some for the 55 I just setup. More life has come out of those rocks then the LR that I bought that looked great. I have all kinds of corals popping up out of nowhere on those rocks versus the ones I bought that had all kinds of coral line algea. I guess you can't really judge the LR by it looks in the LFS curing tank.

jonthefb

i personally am a huge fan of the florida aquacultured rock. we ordered three 10 pound peices in from Seagrest, a wholesaler iin florida and this stuff was just amazing. i think i cou
nted 10 different types of comensal tunicates growign on the rock, all different colors red blue green white orange, etc, three giant sponge colonies that were red, yellow and orange, limpets, a black and white serpent star, and tons of caulerpa an dred algae. it was amazing. when i set my 65 up im probably gonna get mostly this aquacultured rock. its just soo darn dense though, thats about the only problem!
good luck
jon