live sand and hair alage

coral boy

I just spent the last hour pulling hair alage out of my live sand now i have a cup full of alage and live sand. does anyone know of a good way to seperate the two so i can put the sand back in the tank i have been pulling a lot out lately. the reason why i have a lot of alage is b/c i went from 210 watts to 1350 watts of light in a 125 gal. tank. i don't know if this stuff will ever stop growing
Thanks for any help you can give
Sam

jonthefb

man if i were you id get a lawnmower blenny and a ton of trochus snails!
you could also rinse the sand with FW, and then let it dry in the sun, or maybe in the over at a high temp, then sift through the sand and retun it to the tank. i had to do this with some sand that had cyano on it and it worked nicely
good luck
jon

coral boy

Jon
What does putting it in the sun or oven do just dry it out?
I have two lawnmower blennys they do a good job on the rock but don't touch the sand what can i get to clean the sand.
Sam

jonthefb

get some trochus snails, they do a fantastic job at cleaning up hair algae on rock sand and glass. What i did with the cyano, i placed it in a bucket, added soem sw, swished it sround quite a bit until the algae was dislodged, adn then poured the water out. i did this numerous times until the algea appeared to be gone, then "baked" it in th esun to dry it out. After its completely dry its really easy to get the rest of the algae off caause its dried up in a clump!
good luck
jon

coral boy

Thanks Jon
I really appreciate your help.
do you know where i can get them snails i just called all the LFS around here and they said they can't get themso i guess i have to get them online.
Sam

jonthefb

whats you remail address? the snails they have listed on this site as mexican/trochus really arent the right ones, ill email you with a couple of different sites that do and you can go form there!
good luck
jon