Live sand brand?

extremepcs

Hi all,
I need to purchase live sand for a new nano tank. I can get CaribSea brand at my LFS. Is it OK? Or should I order the Premium Keys brand from SWF? What's the difference, if any?
Thanks

azfishgal

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
The one sold on this site comes with worms and pods, the bag stuff just has bacteria.
But the sand on this site seems so expensive to other sites (and lfs), why is that? Is it that much more because the worms and pods? All the other prices here on SWF are great, but the sand seems to be way up there. :notsure:

teresaq

yes its because it has all the nice things you want in your sand. You can seed an entire tank of dry sand with just a few pounds of the good stuff.
wendy, ygm

stanlalee

Originally Posted by extremepcs
Hi all,
I need to purchase live sand for a new nano tank. I can get CaribSea brand at my LFS. Is it OK? Or should I order the Premium Keys brand from SWF? What's the difference, if any?
Thanks
Caribsea isn't really live sand. dry sand will acccumlate the bacteria that has already accumlated on CaribSea sand in no time (it just suppose to jump start/shorten your cycle). REAL live sand is collected from the ocean floor and transported/shipped so that the micro fauna (worms, pods ect) live. It is important for those creatures to live if you are planning on a reef tank or deep sand bed where these creatures and their larvae are used to feed the corals and livestock. If you plan on any sand sifters like a Diamond/gold headed sleeper Goby/sand sifting star they may starve without the use of live sand if you cant get them to eat prepared (which could be from easy to not going to happen).
you can always use regular sand and seed it with a cup of live sand (via trade or buy a cup from somebody with it).

azfishgal

OK, so if that sand is that "live" then I just need 10 lbs live sand and 90 lbs dead sand, for my 125 gallon tank? I think that would give me a 2" sand base, do I need to go deaper?
extremepcs, you brought up a good question, thanks for asking as I was starting to wonder this myself.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by azfishgal
OK, so if that sand is that "live" then I just need 10 lbs live sand and 90 lbs dead sand, for my 125 gallon tank? I think that would give me a 2" sand base, do I need to go deaper?
extremepcs, you brought up a good question, thanks for asking as I was starting to wonder this myself.

You might do more research on sand bed depths to learn more.
2-4 inches seems to be potentially problematic. If you want a shallow bed you might stick to under 2 inches. a deep bed over 4.

extremepcs

Thanks. I did read about that somewhere... If money were no object, would it be best to do a deep bed of all live sand, or dead sand with like 20% live mixed in?

1journeyman

No. Not unless you were adding it slowly to give the critters time to move upwards.
I'm not a huge fan of putting small amounts of live sand either. I like a huge diversity so I go with a lot of true live sand. If money were no object I'd say do 2 inches of dry or bagged "live" sand and then the rest true live.
For what it is worth, I added an order of the live sand from here to my refugium. It was full of critters. So if you are looking consider ordering it from here.

extremepcs

Wow. I used the calculator on this site and it said I need 68 lbs. of sand for a 5" bed. Seems like a lot for a 24g "cube" tank. The dimensions are roughly 20" L x 17" W x 20" H. Maybe I should post in the nano forum and ask other Aquapod owners how much they used.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
You might do more research on sand bed depths to learn more.
2-4 inches seems to be potentially problematic. If you want a shallow bed you might stick to under 2 inches. a deep bed over 4.
I did read somewhere here that to be true, but havn't found the answer as to why or what can happen. I had mentioned having a 3" sand base, but was told the same thing (without explaining why). So I'll dig a little deeper and see what's up with that. I want sand sifting creatures, so I'm thinking 4" (boy that's a lot of sand!)

1journeyman

Originally Posted by extremepcs
Wow. I used the calculator on this site and it said I need 68 lbs. of sand for a 5" bed. Seems like a lot for a 24g "cube" tank. The dimensions are roughly 20" L x 17" W x 20" H. Maybe I should post in the nano forum and ask other Aquapod owners how much they used.
Wouldn't hurt.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by azfishgal
I did read somewhere here that to be true, but havn't found the answer as to why or what can happen. I had mentioned having a 3" sand base, but was told the same thing (without explaining why). So I'll dig a little deeper and see what's up with that. I want sand sifting creatures, so I'm thinking 4" (boy that's a lot of sand!)
In a nut shell:
Sand beds have been known to "fail". A shallow sand bed allows for critters to clean sand. A deep sand bed allows for anearobic (oxygen poor) bacteria to break down nitrate into nitrogen and oxygen gasses. A mid depth sand bed tends to become a wasteland. Too deep for critters, not deep enough to be oxygen poor.
Avoid sand "sifting" creatures (such as certain stars, horseshoe crabs, etc.)for a healthy sand bed. They eat your beneficial worms, pods, etc. and then can starve. Burrowing creatures (sand shifters) are fine.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Avoid sand "sifting" creatures (such as certain stars, horseshoe crabs, etc.)for a healthy sand bed. They eat your beneficial worms, pods, etc. and then can starve. Burrowing creatures (sand shifters) are fine.
OK, so can I have a 1.5" sand base and have a mated pair of blennies, Nassarius and Cerith Snails and Emerald Crabs? Would that be ok? Would other sand shifters be ok with 1.5 or will it have to be 5"?
Edit: One more thing, I was thinking of going with 20 lbs of Premium Keys Live Sand (SWF) and then the rest CaribSea Aragonite Sand. Is that a good mix? Money is starting to get tight (common accurance with this hobby) so one 20 lbs of Premium Keys is all I can afford with all the lr I'm having to buy.