Live Sand Dollars

C

childress5tyler

About 7 years ago we got a smaller live sand dollar from the ocean and kept it alive for about a year...we believe it cracked when we were upgrading to our 90 gallon aquarium...my question is: does anybody know where (if anywhere) i could buy a live sand dollar for my 90 gallon, i have enough sand to sustain it easily. Thanks for any reply

meowzer

Sand dollars are really not for in aquariums....as a matter of fact I believe they are illegal to collect in some places (not sure) I think I read this once

C

childress5tyler

I just thought about how i use to have on years ago, and surprisingly kept it alive for a little over a year, but thanks anyway

mproctor4

A couple of years ago our LFS had a couple for sale. Maybe you could ask someone locally if they could order one for you if they are still allowed to collect them.

C

childress5tyler

where do you live mproctor4? and if you could do that, that would be great :)

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjacktang http:///forum/thread/386837/live-sand-dollars#post_3401197
Isnt Fort Wayne where you guys had that Harry Baal incident? lol srroy...
Really...... Lol.... have to bring that up again? He did alot for the community years ago, but not proud of the name Lol...
By the way there little man?????? Why are you looking up Harry baal on you tube??? (uh huh) nevermind.... don't wanna go there. Lol...

blackjacktang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///forum/thread/386837/live-sand-dollars#post_3401199
Really...... Lol.... have to bring that up again? He did alot for the community years ago, but not proud of the name Lol...
By the way there little man?????? Why are you looking up Harry baal on you tube??? (uh huh) nevermind.... don't wanna go there. Lol...
LOL
haha ohh kiefers i never get tired of you. And i saw it in a post on facebook.

blackjacktang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///forum/thread/386837/live-sand-dollars#post_3401207
uhh huh???? your phone number again was............ " good morning Mrs. Blackjacktang. I need to have a word about your son" Lol......... Oh my that is funny

my mom would be like "who the hell is blackjacktang". BTW dont put my name with those words...to many times have i heard on the PA system "excuse me mrs. so and so..i need your student brandon in the main office please.

C

childress5tyler

I understand and yes they do, I'll have to ask them on Friday. Thanks for the suggestion :)

C

childress5tyler

thanks for the input, I'd love to have one; but not if they're illegal lol

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childress5tyler http:///forum/thread/386837/live-sand-dollars#post_3401516
thanks for the input, I'd love to have one; but not if they're illegal lol
I believe where Joe is they are illegal, But I have now idea about anywhere else. I look at it like this, I hate it when they catch these fish off the reefs and sell them in the trade because of the survival rate, and two when they farm the same fish and they are tanked raised. That disturbs me. I see these sea horses in these Fish stores and they are wild caught out of the Phillipeans, they do not survive at all. None of them, they starve to death and when I go into these stores you can see there starving. it really PISSES me off! I want to take some home and try to teach them to eat frozen but the chances of that is like............. I have a better chance of pulling a gold nugget out of my nose.

aquaknight

They are illegal to recreationally collect in the state of Florida. I am unsure about the other Gulf/lower Atlantic states... However, even within the state of Florida, they are not illegal to sell/buy, as the state assumes you're buying imported sand dollars from other countries.
However a bit shorter then a year (suspecting he was already dead when he "cracked") is hardly a success story for keeping sand dollars for a creature that potentially live for many year. It's about the time it takes for one to wipe out and sand bed, and then eventually starve. I wouldn't suggest one for a 90gal, or a 240gal....

travelerjp98

that's cool- when I was on the georgia coast about a month ago there were HUNDREDS of sand dollars (live and dead) EVERYWHERE! I really wanted to take one home with me!