Live sand question

jojoandphia

I have read the live sand threads and I was just wondering about something.
Most of them say that you can use just a thin layer of live sand and you can just non-live sand for the rest and the non-live sand will become live sand because of the other live sand in the tank. So to the question, where do you buy the non-live sand? Can you get the play sand like at a home store and put that in the tank and the live sand on top?

Don't get play sand. Most of that sand is synthetic and contains all kinds of things you don't want in your tank. Like silicone. You can buy dead sand at your LFS for cheap. Just make sure it's real sand and not synthetic..

dinki

Originally Posted by usefulidiot213
Don't get play sand.
So the play sand (New Castle??) at Home Depot that fizzes when you put vinegar on it is not a viable choice? I'm a newbie but I saw information saying that this stuff is good for the bed if seeded with live sand.

prez

From what I have seen, most people like that sand. Me personally I would not put it in my tank. Check around read about it. Im sure someone on this board has actually used the stuff and can tell you all about it.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by dinki
So the play sand (New Castle??) at Home Depot that fizzes when you put vinegar on it is not a viable choice? I'm a newbie but I saw information saying that this stuff is good for the bed if seeded with live sand.
IF you can still find "Old Castle" "Yardright" or "Southdown" sand you should be fine. I have 700Lbs of it in my 180 and refugium. It is a very fine sand, so placing base rock in it for your live rock to sit on is absoultely a neccessity.
A couple of years ago Southdown started labeling their bags "not for aquarium use". Now, here's the thing... I really wanted a bunch of it so I started calling around trying to locate their home office. Finally talked to a woman and when I told her what I was going to use it for she said "hold on i'll transfer you" and the next thing I know I'm talking to the office of one of the major companies that bags and sells "live sand". So, clearly there was some connection between the distribution of Southdown playsand and aquarium sand. I *highly* suspect it comes from the exact same quarry....

blademaster

I'm just starting a 90g reef tank and my local saltwater fish store recommended crushed coral and live sand. crushed coral on the bottom then the live sand on top

andy51632

Originally Posted by blademaster
I'm just starting a 90g reef tank and my local saltwater fish store recommended crushed coral and live sand. crushed coral on the bottom then the live sand on top
Don't put crushed coral in your tank.
Just use 1" dead sand and 1/2" live sand for a shallow sand bed or if you want to try a deep sand bed use 4" dead sand and 1/2" live sand.
I am not sure why LFS still recommend crushed coral. You can have a sand bed, as long as you use true live sand to seed it, that will look a ton better than crushed coral. Plus it will be better for your tank.

meathead

I used crushed coral on the bottom and live sand on the top. Big mistake. Crushed coral never stays on the bottom; it will always make its way to the top from cleaning, rearranging, sand sifters, etc.
The first algae bloom I had stained the coral a horrible color and made the sand bed look dirty. I eventually strained the crushed coral out.

michaeltx

when in doubt buy argonite sand from the LFS or other dealer.
put that in and place the live sand on top it will still save you a bundle.
Mike

michaeltx

in your case I would add live unless you added it little bit at a time so the living organisms can populate the older sand before you add more
Mike

lucin

My tank has been up and running for 6 years i used old castle sand and have had no problems.

michaeltx

that will only serve to trap the detirous and crude under the screen causeing water quality issues later. its best to go all sand.
Mike

mitremark

how long past the use by date on the bag of live sand is it good? how long will it take for the bacteria to start growing again?

michaeltx

how much sand will i need for 90g reef?
depends on how deep of a sand bed you want usual 1 to 1 and 1/2 pounds per gallon is the goal.
Mike

michaeltx

Originally Posted by mitremark
how long past the use by date on the bag of live sand is it good? how long will it take for the bacteria to start growing again?

well to be completely honest with you I wouldnt buy the pre bagged stuff you can get much for your money if you get dry and a cup or 2 from freinds tanks to seed it.
Mike

1journeyman

my local fish store already sold me 40lbs.of sand and 80lbs. of crushed coral. should i take the coral back?
Yes, and then find a new store, hehe.
That was really bad advice they gave you.